VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy a VSO converter software :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Humax Fox T2 PVR ... and I have hundreds of films & TV series recorded.

I travel a lot .. and it would be good to put some on my iPad Air2 to watch.

My PVR is on line, so I can access via a browser, I can download any recordings to my PC .... what format should I convert them to before I try and upload to the iPad.

Want to keep quality high. The saved files are in .ts format (file info attached)

If I understand things ... I have no option other than MP4 (AAC audio) so I need to convert, is Avidemux the best option to use ?
    SD info.txt

Don't know much about Avidemux .... assume video to MP4 AVC (x264)
    what about audio ... AAC Flacc or Lav ?

I found one web page .. and only option it says is select 'allow reframe' don't even know where to set that.
    Last edited by Tafflad; 19th Jun 2017 at 18:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read this first. Using the port of vlc for an ipad could save you the pain of conversion.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/apple/how-to-transfer-videos-to-ipad-3512138/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not sure how that helps ... I thought IPad could only handle MP4. ... are you suggesting that I install VLC and it allows other formats to play ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you must convert.....there is nothing simpler that the Apple presets in HandBrake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
    Not sure how that helps ... I thought IPad could only handle MP4. ... are you suggesting that I install VLC and it allows other formats to play ?
    {Nods}

That's why I suggested you read the article I linked to.

"The good news is that there are lots of apps available in the App Store on your iPad which can play videos and allow you to 'import' files from any computer running iTunes. Most donít require you to first convert the video into a format the iPad can play natively (i.e. MP4). Instead, you can play pretty much anything you like, including AVI, DIVX, MKV and more."

"There are various apps, including the free VLC Player."
    Quote Quote  
  6. OK .. on a train, using phone for connection - and it's poor (you can appreciate GWR) - not read all of that article on my phone .... but when you m entioned VLC .... quickly Googled and found :

"you can put almost anything in a TS container, so just don't expect any player including VLC to play TS files! You may wish to considering converting TS to MP4, which can be easily played in VLC."
    Which is almost full circle to my question.

Never had an iPad before - so new to me .... I'll see what players I can add ......... not even sure how I get the file onto iPad .... maybe I have to use dropbox or similar.

Perhaps someone will tell me its all easy - just different, no doubt it needs apple store or iTunes .. or similar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VLC is free so you have nothing to lose by trying in.

And if that spec you stated is standard I can not see why VLC could not play it. After all, MP4 is another container format and chose the wrong specs and your IPAD could bork at that as well.

And conversion should always be avoided if at all possible. You will go from mpeg2 for the .ts to whatever AVC under .mp4 supports. Loss of quality is unavoidable going from one lossy format to another.

As for VLC, the only codecs I have issues with are the lossless ones ie huffyuv and lagarith. Everything else I have thrown at it plays ok.

Yeah. I do appreciate GWR. I do not appreciate their charges tho.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I will try it (ipad is all new to me)

On a PC I had severe problems with HD mp4 on VLC ........... found that Splash Lite plays everything and motion is far smoother, colours better as well (maybe there is one for iPad)
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK .... DB83 put me on right path .... installed VLC
    Then all you do is drop files in via iTunes and they play without needing conversion.
    5 Hr flight to Ukraine on Thursday ... so at least I have something to watch now.

Did find a couple of comments that some players have issues with stripped out codecs make them have issue (Apple licensing) ... one that is stated as bing bullet proof is Playerextreme .... so installed that as well in case I get issues.

Thanks guys
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

Yeah. I do appreciate GWR. I do not appreciate their charges tho.
    Train from London today was an Hr late - running slow and the temp inside probably matched or exceed outside which was 31 C (88F) - felt like I was in a mobile greenhouse.
    Quote Quote