VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy PlayOn and record Netflix! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This may seem like a stupid question and I have tried to search but it just showed about converting MKV to MP4 etc, I have an LG TV and some files work and others dont, the only difference I have seen is the ones that do are MKV version 2 and the ones that don't are MKV version 4, is there a way to make version 4 file into version 2 so it will play on my tv? I have uploaded the two different mediainfo files BB.TXT is the type that works on my tv and GOT.TXT is the one that doesn't. I really hope someone can give me the answer and I hope I am not just being simple, I am quite good with technology but video formats I find very confusing

thank you in advanced
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your second file is using HEVC video codec. Only newer TVs and then mostly 4K only support that codec. Probably needs complete re-encoding using e.g. VidCoder to AVC.

To answer the question about v4 to v2:
    MKVToolNix GUI -> Preferences -> Default Values -> Default additional command line options -> "--clusters-in-meta-seek --disable-track-statistics-tags --engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position"
    Then open the files you want to convert and click "Start Muxing" at the bottom. But this won't solve the HEVC<>AVC problem.
    https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/wiki/Improving-playback-compatibility-with-players
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the reply and the advice, I have downloaded vidcoder but how do I convert the file to AVC? all I can see is MKV or MP4
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mkv should be fine (mp4 probably works as well...). In Encoding settings you can set "H.264 (x264)" for video but this is already the default anyways, I believe. For Audio Encoding set to codec to "Passthru" and allow for AAC and AC3 (depends on your player's capabilities). (You can "delete" the duplicate audio stream it wants to create.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for all your help, wasn't expecting it to be so quick, you were right "H.264 (x264)" was the default and I have set audio to passthru, I will try to convert it and hope that it works, this porgram is much better than one I tried before it said it would take 3 hours to convert a 1 hour video so thank you for the recommendation!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just converted the file as you suggested and it worked perfectly, I will be using VidCoder a lot from now on I think!
    Quote Quote