VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anybody know of a method I can use to rip subtitles from the Indian streaming site "Hotstar"

Any help would be much appreciated as it is time sensitive

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i test the website with one film to watch .

used firefox and then activate developer mode or inspect element .

then head to Network tab on the far Right .

hit ctrl+f to find and search for : .m3u8

i went to this :

download it to your local computer ..

open it with notepad++ (recommnded) or text notepad

you will find inside webvtt segements matches videos ts segments count .

you need to download the whole webvtt segments to your computer .

the problem is they are splitted .. so you need to combine or modify the index_en_subtl.m3u8 to refer back to your local segment copies , if you know (thats my idea ,, i didn't tested it yet"

the problem of combining them the segments inside from index_en_subtl.m3u8 ... is each segement is by itself a container not plain texts to merge easily..

if you have time you can use tool named " Text File Joiner " which allows you to sort text files manually or automatically depending on the file naming ..
    segment1.webvtt
    segment2.webvtt
    segment3.webvtt
    segment4.webvtt
    ...etc

then open the grouped file in notepad++ again and omit or remove the duplicates or repeated things (the container should be in file only 1 time to group the whole translation line in-between)
    so in conclusion you

segment1 (container + translation lines) , segment2 (container+trnslation lines) ...etc .. >>> into >> combined_all ( container + all translation lines sorted)

its easy job to amend .. if you have time and need the original subtitle from source site .. you will not find srt on hotstar ..

you will only find the file i told you about on each video page .. something like subtle en .. and extension m3u8 ..

you combine the inside segmnets of translation manually your way .. or find away online or ask someone to do a robotic program which can do the job for you for a wage ..

if you are over many movies .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i test the website with one film to watch .

used Firefox and then activate developer mode or inspect element .

then head to Network tab on the far Right .

hit Ctrl+f to find and search for : .m3u8

i went to this :

download it to your local computer ..

open it with notepad++ (recommended) or text notepad

you will find inside webvtt segments matches videos ts segments count .

you need to download the whole webvtt segments to your computer .

the problem is they are splitted .. so you need to combine or modify the index_en_subtl.m3u8 to refer back to your local segment copies , if you know (that my idea ,, i didn't tested it yet"

the problem of combining them the segments inside from index_en_subtl.m3u8 ... is each segment is by itself a container not plain texts to merge easily..

if you have time you can use tool named " Text File Joiner " which allows you to sort text files manually or automatically depending on the file naming ..
    segment1.webvtt
    segment2.webvtt
    segment3.webvtt
    segment4.webvtt
    ...etc

then open the grouped file in notepad++ again and omit or remove the duplicates or repeated things (the container should be in file only 1 time to group the whole translation line in-between)
    so in conclusion you

segment1 (container + translation lines) , segment2 (container+translation lines) ...etc .. >>> into >> combined_all ( container + all translation lines sorted)

its easy job to amend if you have time and need the original subtitle from source site .. also you will not find srt on hotstar ..

you will only find the file i told you about on each video page .. something like subtle en .. and extension m3u8 ..

you combine the inside segments of translation manually your way .. or find away online or ask someone to do a robotic program which can do the job for you for a wage ..

if you are over many movies .

i also attached the program to join plain text files (as webvtt considered a plain text file) ..

remember to change file name and extension of grouped file after joining on text file joiner ..

or on the same program click save combined and if you prompted for file to save enter these as its >> "whole.webvtt"
    change file name to your desire ..

and you can too .. extract only the translations lines and save to srt format or something your way ..

attached file if you need it without search engine detours
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Dazzle Cat; 18th Jul 2017 at 13:04.
    Quote Quote