VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. what software or what ffmpeg commands can convert mp4 to avi? if there is a way to make a direct conversion, that must be my 1st thing to try. so far i only know how to use virtualdub, so i must use avi in an old way.

AA= video-converter-ultimate_setup_full495.exe (0.9m)
    AA= allured me as "free easy fast lossless converter" but it was more like virus than anything else, it installs itself without any options and any options to change directory, it just installs for a long time, i found out it downloaded 250m bytes of something more from internet, i had to disconnect the internet to cancel it. and i had to use the restore point to get my windows back.
    Last edited by sommers; 15th Jun 2017 at 23:18.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by sommers View Post
    what software or what ffmpeg commands can convert mp4 to avi? if there is a way to make a direction conversion, that must be my 1st thing to try. so far i only know how to use virtualdub, so i must use avi in an old way.

vdub can open most types of MP4 directly with the ffinputdriver plugin .
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdubffmpeginputplugin/

I think the newer branch , virtualdubfiltermod comes with it

Or if you still want to re-wrap , not all A/V codecs are compatible in AVI, but you can try

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v copy -c:a copy output.avi
    Or you can re-encode it with a lossy or lossless codec but the other methods are faster and preferrable
    Quote Quote  
  3. AA= ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v copy -c:a copy output.avi
    BB=ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.avi
    CC=ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c copy output.avi

AA= worked
    BB=worked
    CC=doesnt work

why doesnt CC= work? i thought -c code was the same as -vcodec copy -acodec copy, and it was a short form notation for a long form.

----------------------------------

DD= Or if you still want to re-wrap , not all A/V codecs are compatible in AVI, but you can try

i dont know what DD= means exactly at the moment, but virtualdub doesnt work with the wrapped AVI as you said.
    error showed up as follow.

i will search for other types of virtualdubs now.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_001.png
Views:	119
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	41914  

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sommers View Post
    CC=doesnt work

why doesnt CC= work?
    Define "doesn't work."
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you want to re-wrap to AVI, you need an AVC decoder for vdub. Install ffdshow and enable h.264/avc in the VFW configuration (yellow icon) set to "libavcodec" . 32bit vdub requires 32bit ffdshow, 64bit requires 64bit
    Quote Quote  
  6. AA=ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c copy output.avi
    BB=ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c codec output.avi

oops, i wrote it as BB= in the actual command line instead of AA=. thinking that i was doing AA=.
    now AA= works. and BB= showed a "unknown codec" message.
    Quote Quote  
  7. AA=virtualdubfiltermod
    Last edited by sommers; 16th Jun 2017 at 04:48.
    Quote Quote  
  8. AA=virtualdubfiltermod

I have a trouble using AA=. 1st i thought AA= was virtualdubMOD, but it was something different. AA= doesnt have "stream" menu.

i was trying to remove the sound stream, so i selected no audio, then i tried to save the mp4 file.
    it didnt work

i selected some parts, and tried to save them in mp4, it caused similar errors, AA= thinks a lot of time that i am still doing AVI.
    Last edited by sommers; 16th Jun 2017 at 06:09.
    Quote Quote