VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    What is the best way to play a 3D movie using ISO backup from my original disk?
    PC is connected to a external AMP via Optical cable and video is connected to TV via HDMI 2.0a (TV is Passive 4K 3D).
    Video card is ASUS GTX 1070 with 8GB RAM
    My current software player is PotPlayer
    I'd prefer to play the movie in it's full resolution, rather than halve it with SBS or OU.
    Is this possible?
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    without sbs or ou direct to the tv i don't believe it will work for real 3d.

not sure what "passive" 3d is? you have to wear the red/blue glasses? that's the crappiest ugliest non watchable 3d ever.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Yanta There is no freeware player that I know of which can do what you want. You need licensed Blu-ray player software (and possibly virtual drive software to mount the ISO) to play a 3D Blu-ray ISO in 3D. This means Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra, or Corel WinDVD Pro, or possibly ArcSoft Total Media Theatre (discontinued software).

@aedipus -- Passive 3D uses polarized glasses rather than active shutter glasses.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would check NVidia 3D Vision Video Player - never had opportunity to test 3D (not interested) but technically seem to be correct approach (proper HDMI signaling is important).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    I would check NVidia 3D Vision Video Player - never had opportunity to test 3D (not interested) but technically seem to be correct approach (proper HDMI signaling is important).
    See footnote at: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html
    * Blu-ray 3D support requires the purchase of a compatible video playback software application from Corel, CyberLink, ArcSoft, or Roxio.
    [Edit]Why is commercial player software required even after decryption? Blu-ray doesn't always provide a single file containing the main movie. Just like the original, Blu-ray ISOs may have a playlist controlling playback which the player software must be able to use. If commercial Blu-ray player software is required and someone has a 3D-capable video card and a passive 3D TV, NVIDIA's player software is not needed.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Jun 2017 at 11:36.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you don't need bd menus and if the bd is unlocked then 3d BD ISO or folder could be played in potplayer with external subtitle support.

(ISO auto mounting requires Windows 8 or higher)
    Quote Quote  
  7. usually_quiet maybe you are right, naively assumed that main issue with 3D playing (seem OP pursuing way to play 3D correctly) is signaling proper video format and proper metadata over HDMI. Seem that 3D BD is more than ordinary 3D (3D is quite straightforward itself).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yanta may need to rip the movie to a different format be assured of correct playback with free software.

A 3D MKV created by MakeMKV will be a frame packed arrangement using a bit-perfect copy of the original video, but I don't know what free software can play one of these correctly. All of the software suggestions I saw (Stereoscopic Player, JRiver Media Center) were payware.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Yanta may need to rip the movie to a different format be assured of correct playback with free software.

A 3D MKV created by MakeMKV will be a frame packed arrangement using a bit-perfect copy of the original video, but I don't know what free software can play one of these correctly. All of the software suggestions I saw (Stereoscopic Player, JRiver Media Center) were payware.

LAV + madVR combination can play it. Potplayer can do it too. Both requires additional mvc decoding library from intel. Potplayer has more flexible subtitle supports. Besides, BDrip will not be required if it is not fragmented into pieces as there is a way to show mpls playlist in free software. In case of potplayer, it is listed in bookmark menu. Without BD menu support, you don't need payware to play 3d BD iso/folder/mkv3d.

3D Test samples: http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples
    Last edited by sheppaul; 15th Jun 2017 at 20:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    without sbs or ou direct to the tv i don't believe it will work for real 3d.

not sure what "passive" 3d is? you have to wear the red/blue glasses? that's the crappiest ugliest non watchable 3d ever.
    No, the glasses are not red/blue. They are the clear polarized type, just like the Real3D glasses in the cinemas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The movies are usually ISO backups of the original disk.
    I use WinCDEmu 3.6 for mounting ISOs

I've seen several places that tout Potplayer's ability to play back 3D but I've never been able to get it to work.

The PC used does not have LAV filters installed. IIRC it only installs Avisynth.

thanks
    @sheppaul: do you have a link for that mvc library?

... nvm... Potplayer has an install Link to it.

I tried several combinations of settings, and I can get 3D but it is extremely ghosty and there are artifacts that look like rain running down a window - flowing water - that makes the movie unwatchable. I tried several of my ISO's same result. On both of my TVs (One Active plasma and a passive LED).
    Last edited by Yanta; 25th Jun 2017 at 19:36.
    Quote Quote