VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. BrotherJaso here. (ToshibaP6000Laptop/Windows7) & (HP2000Laptop/Windows8.0)

I've been attempting to burn the second disc of my double dvd set (the extended version) for the last 3 weeks using DVDStyler. I thought maybe my mp4's weren't up to par. (Even re-encoded them with MediaCoder and Handbrake) (Original mp4's coming straight out of Avidemux) All three versions do the same thing..

'A Problem Has Caused DVDAuthor to stop working. '

The app data/temp folders produce vob's, menu's, and the VideoTS folder. All dozen or so attempts make it past the end of the render until the DVDAuthor portion of the burn begins. The 'stopped working' prompt's only option is OK. Then a red 'failed' message concludes the burn.

I copied all three temp folders before DVDStyler asks to clear cache. However, PgcEdit doesn't see the TSFolder.

I did manage to produce a 3 minute version succesfully. (All 20 videos, only the first 3 minutes of each)

The text file shows the same info as DVDStyler's progress window. But, it doesn't show thee problem that caused it to stop.

I want to ask what is the problem. But, let me check DVDAuthor independently of DVDStyler. My theory is that it too will fail and even possibly give me an error reference number.

Also, let me check PgcEdit with the 3 minute version. It should be able to substitute those long titles from the 7.46 GB (full/failed) burn. (I think they will also have the 20 TTN's per title as well)

Checking...

OK. Dvd-out (TSFolder) only made 8 vob's. PgcEdit found no ifo's. (Is this where the DVDAuthor portion of the DVDStyler burn failed?) (The folder itself is 7.46 GB's, so I assume all titles are within the 8 vob's) I tried the dvd-cache (vob's) folder. All 20 titles are here, but I assume the ifo's don't show up in here anyway.

Also double checked DVDAuthor (independently of DVDStyler's DVDAuthor portion of the burn) just to make sure it was working. It does.

What could be causing the DVDAuthor portion of DVDStyler's burn to hang up?

Thank you very much! Brother Jaso

5:20pm

Just rechecked the stock settings for the audio bitrate. There's 3 places, dvd options, configuration settings interface, and configuration settings core. (192, 48, 192) Noticed changing 192 to 48 in dvd options made the dvd burn possible or not (48 possible). I'm using custom video bitrate of 500. (It's a red 500 on the bottom) The 3 minute (successful) burn didn't show it's video bitrate in red because I used 4000.

6:09pm

Just found an interesting write up here https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/274563-DVDStyler-has-stopped-working-Errors-out-now
    Standby... (16 hours) (LOL)
    Last edited by Brother Jaso; 13th Jun 2017 at 18:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry but I really do not understand what you are trying to do

1. You have original dvds
    2. You create mp4s from those dvds
    3. You attempt to create dvds from those mp4s

Am I right ?

Cut out the middleman

1. Rip the dvds to your HDD.
    2. Burn folders/files to new disks.

Missed something ? Then explain further.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I'm sorry but I really do not understand what you are trying to do
    I was thinking exactly the same thing as I was trying to make sense of what I was reading. Too many words and not enough clarity.

And if beginning with DVDs with menus, why use DVDStyler at all? If beginning with MP4s (which makes the comment about my double dvd set nothing but nonsense), use AVSToDVD instead with its better quality HCEnc MPEG-2 encoder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On last title now. (fingers crossed)

This may actually be solved. IDK. About to find out. I'm having trouble with DVDStyler. It gets to the end where DVDAuthor starts and quits. I did a reinstall and took out this infamous avisynth software I had brought in back in the days when I knew not.

Hi Manono. It's Brother Jaso. You helped me on the last burn. Not concerned with quality on this second of a double dvd I'm producing. Thank you. Thank you. I'll relook into AVSToDVD. (I thought I had only seen still menu frames here)

Hi DB83. Nice to meet you. Actually these are mp4's straight from YT. Then I may or may not go in and edit content. (for time) I used 20 mp4 titles, made a custom background for the menu screen, and 152 second sound byte with the menu as well. (The first dvd came out nice!) Yes, mp4's are on the HD. (DVDStyler's menu tree finds them in their appropriate positions) I chose DVDStyler to burn them to disc. It affords a quality result.

It just seems in my 3rd party observation that indeed DVDStyler may be having conflicting interests with other installed software. Oops, I stand corrected. Burn just ended. Same result. Here is the DVDStyler text document..

Does DVDStyler have trouble handling 500 for video bitrate?

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All I will add is you can not possibly be serious if you are creating a dvd with a custom bitrate of 500.

Just check 'What is' at the top of this page to see the allowed bitrates. (The ABSOLUTE minimum would be 2000 kbps if you want to actually see anything on your screen)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I'm back.

Spent last week deep, deep into authoring mode. Results...

OK.

I decided to do some test runs with DVDStyler. It manages to stay stable down to 1606 kbps. (At least on my setup) So I go with it. Naturally, I need to get the bitrate down to 565 kbps if I want to keep all of the content on one dvd. Enter DVDShrink! (Awesome program by the way)

So I want to put all 20 titles on one dvd. I made a 3 minute version (each title only 3 minutes long) so the title menu screen would have 3 minutes of material on each bov, because the soundtrack of the menu screen is 3 minutes long. Enter PgcEdit! (Awesomest program thusfar!) But PgcEdit doesn't won't see vob's (for replacing vtsts) unless each title has 20 ttn's. (because of DVDStyler's method of writing dvd's) How does one put 20 ttn's into a vob, so that PgcEdit will import and replace said titles?

Answer:

My approach involved rendering 20 new dvds. I make one dvd per title (using DVDStyler) with 1 second versions of the rest of the titles substituted in there. (Like disc 1 would be the full title #1 and 19 one second titles in there, disc 2 would be the full title #2 and 19 one second titles, etc.) Now these burns have DVDStyler's minimum kbps of 1606, so I use DVDShrink twice! Now PgcEdit sees each title with 20 ttn's per title. But PgcEdit won't let me replace vtst's per domain. (It replaces all titles) How do I work around that?

Answer:

Instead of replacing all 20 titles, simply import them. But doing this adds 19 extra titles per title. Not a problem, just delete last title in domain until one gets to the full title. But, how does one delete the titles above the (full) title?

Answer:

One must remap pgc of said (full) title to the top, remap title number to it's appropriate position, and finally, reorder ttn's in current vtst domain. Then, continue deleting last title in domain.

Now I have the dvd ready to burn at 14 GB's or so. Re-Enter DVDShrink! Next pass gave me about 9 GB's or so. Repeat again, and the dvd is now 7.56 GB's and finds layer break this time!

Now..

I ran it through PotPlayer, VLCMediaPlayer, MediaPlayerClassic, SMPlayer, WindowsMediaPlayer, all have their own playback qualities, but the true test was old buddies XBox playback test. Seems to be fine. But, I'm thinking some of the pre/post commands got lost in translation as I set it up initially (on the 3 minute burn and all 20 individual title/1sec burns) to play each title sequentially and return to the menu at the end of title 20. XBox wants to start off correctly on title 1, but goes back to the beginning of title 1 instead of title 2. The post command still shows it's there in PgcEdit but executing via buddies XBox returns to beginning of same title.

Making all these extra dvds to form into one dvd had taken up a lot of hard drive space. So, I erase everything, thinking well, now I have the dvd, I can just copy it back to the hard drive. Surprise! Bumped into an error writing it back:

ImgBurn I/O Error! Device [0:1:0] MATSUSHITA DVD-RAM UJ890ES 1.80 (E (ATAPI), ScsiStatus 0x02, Interpretation: Check Condition, CDB: 28 00 00 1 C B1 40 00 00 01 00, Interpretation: Read (10) - Sector: 1880384, Sense Area: F0 00 03 00 1C B1 40 0A 00 15 00 00 11 00 00 00 00 00, SK Interpretation: Medium Error, ASC/ASCQ Interpretaion: unrecovered Read Error

BTW, AVStoDVD allows one to adjust the kbps to 500. It just keeps getting fuzzier the smaller the value. As soon as I try 1605 kbps in DVDStyler I get the same 'failure'.

So, all is good. It is possible. I'm going to try it all over again but this time I'm trying a touch better resolution.

What do you (ya'll) make of this error (above)?

IDK, maybe rOIZ knows about the post commands failing? Maybe I need to remap something? or simply re enter the post commands? OK trying now..

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I read you correctly (just taken a few asprins for all the twaddle) you are trying to copy the contents of a burnt disk back to your HDD. If so that error is on the burnt disk.

As for a better resolution, read what you already wrote. Ok 1600 kbps is low for full D1 - it's more suitable for half-D1 where you create a dvd of 360*480 (NTSC) or 360*576 (PAL) but not all basic authoring programs support this - AVStoDVD does. You can NEVER repeat NEVER go down to 500 kbps and expect to see what's on the screen.

The only other compromise, again not support by all programs, is VCD mode. So then have a 360*240/360*288 format at about 1500 kbps. But, again, it will not look good on a reasonable size screen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

Yes, terrible results. But, the content.. For this project, my focus is getting as much content as possible. (The audio is perhaps even more important than the video)

Yes, I was debating whether or not to make the leap to half resolution. (In fact I already used this on the beta) I think this next attempt may suffice. It's basically the same material from the first dvd plus a few extra videos. So, the good stuff is already on disc 1 at full resolution. The second dvd is more like the same, more content, and works as an 'extra' copy to put in the attic or give to a friend. Also made some custom boxed sized titles to further reduce size using Avidemux. (So, it's not even going to make big screen status anyways.)

Yes, asprins. I have been sitting next to the machine a lot. Been doing proper smoking to keep the flow going. (Deleting 7600 titles per 20 dvds) (lol)

Just tried spot checking the beta (352x480) dvd bitrate (title 4). It's showing an average of 382 kbps. Even though it doesn't make big screen status, it actually looks acceptable. Not sure, may be subjective.

VCD, never looked into it. May be a better approach. Will have to post results later. Good looking. Thank you. Thank you.

OK. 1 of 20 dvds processing now. (LOL) Standby..

Last edited by Brother Jaso; 24th Jun 2017 at 16:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I'm back... (or, half back)

I'm in PgcEdit now. How does one change the post command (per title) from 'Jump to TTN (x) in this VTS' to 'Jump to VTS #' ?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD structure does not permit you to jump from one VTS (Video Title Set) to another. If that is what you are asking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can one combine all vtst's into one and sequentially renumber ttn's?

11:57 pm

OK. I just discovered a viable option. PgcEdit 'Trace' mode! Was able to go through step by step and follow it to correct title numbers. Also changed post commands all to jump to vmgm menu. (I was going for playing all titles, then going to menu, but this is better as disc 2 is the same material as disc 1 plus a handful of videos one would want to quickly find. Also highlighted new videos bov's with new color)

ImgBurning now...

1:13 am

90% complete.. (Speaking in a whisper voice) It's too late to fire up the xbox, wouldn't want to wake up the whole house. 95% So will report back findings tomorrow. over and out
    Last edited by Brother Jaso; 2nd Jul 2017 at 01:17.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Brother Jaso View Post
    How does one change the post command (per title) from 'Jump to TTN (x) in this VTS' to 'Jump to VTS #' ?
    As DB83 wrote, you can't do that directly. But you can 'bounce' through a VMGM PGC to the target: create a new dummy PGC in the VMGM, and use a CallSS-VMGM-PGC command to jump from the source PGC to that new dummy PGC, and a JumpTT command to jump from the new PGC to your target.

Also, to minimize the need of that 'bounce' technique, I recommend to author your main menu (the menu that jumps to various titles or sub-menus) in the VMGM, so that you can jump easily to any VTS directly from the main menu. But take in mind that the chapter, audio and subtitles menus should be in the VTSM of the movie, because they are related to a specific title and are not global, and you cannot use the SetSTN command in the VMGM.

(BTW, authoring the main menu in the VMGM is the official method, recommended by the authors of the DVD specs. It's why the Title menu button jumps to the VMGM. I don't understand why ALL commercial DVDs have the main menu in a specific VTS, and why the VMGM is used almost only to store studio logos and other useless stuff.)
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WOW! (We're not worthy! We're not worthy!)

Thank you. Thank you.

Incredible reply. Yes, I keep these things in mind. (Might even find out about commercial vs store studio)

I had started from scratch, made 20 new dvds, then found the original burn folder I thought I had lost. LOL Also noticing DVDShrink sandwiching the 3 minute burns in between each title in preview (as it's rendering)(How could those 3 minute version be coming back from the grave? I only inserted the long titles. Must have something to do with DVDStyler's style). So I went back and made another 1 second version dvd(s) with the full title as before, example, dvd 9 is full title 9 and the rest are 1 second versions. (Just so I can import said titles) Now, DVDStyler is hanging up on the 1 second versions. (Even uninstalled with UninstallerPro, DVDStyler, reinstalled, no luck)

It's actually complete with the new titles using sub standard average bitrate. But, I'm trying to boost kbps on 4 titles to reinsert into the dvd. (Hence, DVDStyler and the 1 second dvds, which just hung up) (I think the 3 minute audio on the menu might be conflicting with 1 second titles on the menu.)

OK. Reattempting 1 second dvd burn(s) with 1 second audio for menu. (fingers crossed)

12:13 pm

Just remembered, I took the 4 half resolution titles from my original (beta version) ConvertXtoDVD dvd and inserted them. Seems fine, but DVDShrink wouldn't handle opening resultant dvd. Not that I need DVDShrink to shrink anything as the dvd is 7.81 GB's, I just wanted to see if I could bring it down to the 7.5 GB range as this usually gives me a layer break.

Do I want to think about making all titles the same size? (example, since I want to use 4 half res titles, go ahead and make all other 16 titles half res too?) Or, would DVDStyler benefit in making all titles the same as the configuration settings: 720 x 480? (In which case I could add black borders to the 4 half res titles to bring them from 352 x 480 up to 720 x 480)??

7:54 pm

Just had a breath of fresh air. Tried a zero minute version. (because that's all it's looking for is the title, now that all other 20 titles have been hybridated) (hybridated in that PgcEdit and DVDStyler techniques of authoring are now fused into one) Less render time too.

Processing title 2 of 4...

12:59 pm

4 of 4 complete! DVDShrinked twice, dvd size came to 7.5 gb's exactly. PgcEdit replacing vtst's good. Processing title 12.. (with chapters, so as to enable a layer break) Standby...

10:52 pm

Drum roll gentlemen, ImgBurn at 10%!!!

11:18 pm

OK. DVD works, on XBox, like it's supposed to. Starts off playing title 1, good. (Can't believe I got all that material on there) Weighed in at around 7.60 GB's exactly. The only thing I'm seeing now, is the menu. I'm going to see if maybe I can re-import a better version. (like the default 8000 kbps abr version) ( had lowered the menu's average bit rate. It shows.) (DB83, you are correct sir) All but the 4 new titles caught the box look. But it was a good box look. DVDShrink really has outdone itself. I'm liking it. Well, actually the 4 new titles do have some remnants of box look(s) every now and again. Overall, it's just what I'm looking for. The box looking titles are in regular resolution on disc 1 of 2 anyway.

OK. One crisp menu away from completion...

12:54 am

Phenomenal dvd! Good thing I made a quality check. One of the titles has half it's audio out of sync. (The longest one) (6:15) So, only two blanks were toasted in the process. Not bad. Still good. (Just label beta x and keep 'em in service) The crisp menu imported very nicely with PgcEdit. No problems there. It made all the difference in the world. Very satisfied with the new look! and sound!

OK. Going back in to fix audio for title 14, re-author a title 14 dvd, replace current vtst 14, re-over-write iso, re-burn, and re-quality check...
    Last edited by Brother Jaso; 6th Jul 2017 at 01:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SOLVED!

Man.. Made nearly every mistake humanly possible since last post. (Just to replace one vtst) LOL But the dvd is complete. Comes out nice.

I've noticed there are many ways to cause DVDStyler to have failure(s) and quit. In this case, the average bit rate was too low. (not sure why they would allow it to go lower than that which it can handle)

Got all the way to the iso burn, half an hour or so ago, then ImgBurn failed in the verification process at the end. (I was beside myself) So, I ran CCleaner, touched up previous failed burns showing in the registry, rebooted, next dvd burn attempt was successful. (Although I think the first one is OK, not sure, will have to check it out in buddies XBox) 3rd burn attempt at 50% now.

Much appreciated for all the opinions and advice.

'TheyLiveUndergroundX' dvd 28:50:35 length (available, not sure, I guess find a way to contact me, haven't checked out the in-house private msg's here)
    Quote Quote