I've been digitising my VHS collection for the last couple of years. I always used my MacBookPro (2012) and a Canopus 300 card. I have both a NTSC and PAL recorder and my Canopus has a switch for selecting PAL en NTSC input and provides a DV output through a Firewire connection.
All went well until I upgraded my system from Mavericks to Sierra.
Now I can still capture NTSC tapes both in iMovie 10.1.5 and in iMovie HD (the latter with a work around), but no longer PAL tapes.
iMovie sees there's a "camera" (my VHS PAL machine) connected, but it does not get any data input. I've double checked with a second PAL VHS recorder, etc...
As all works well with the NTSC tapes (both in iMovie 10.1.5 and in iMovie HD) but not with the PAL tapes (using two different machines that both worked perfectly last time I used them), I can only imagine that the upgrade to Sierra is somehow responsible for this.
Does anybody have any clue about this? And if so, how to get it fixed?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Not a (Grass Valley) Canopus ADVC-300 user, so I can’t test much of this.
macOS Sierra is now at version 10.12.5, per May 15, 2017. Is your notebook updated to the latest release?
iMovie was updated to version 10.1.6, per May 25, 2017. While the last update doesn't list a fix in this area, it usually good practice to keep up-to-date.
Version 10.1.6 (May 25, 2017):
• Improves stability when updating libraries created with earlier versions of iMovie
• Addresses an issue which could lower the volume of clips after transitions
Version 10.1.5 (April 13, 2017)
• Fixes an issue which could add a red tint to video imported from some camcorders
• Addresses an issue which prevented some videos shot on iPhone from appearing in the import window
• Improves performance and stability
Version 10.0.5 (Aug 21, 2014)
• The last version available for Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.x) is version 10.0.5.
As iMovie was also updated, perhaps Sierra itself is not the issue, but iMovie may be it. The solution may be the same: roll back to when it worked.
Last edited by Case; 11th Jun 2017 at 14:26.
Thanks for the suggestion!
But since the upgrade to Sierra, even with iMovie HD it doesn't work anymore.