VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hope this is the right place. Does anyone know why you can change the windows created date with multiple programs if it is on a video on your hard drive but if it is on an old memory stick/thumb drive it has to be later that 1980? I've tried multiple programs and i know the thumb drive is old. I used it specifically because it wa s old to test a program i wrote.

To be sure it wasn't my programming, i tried others but the error also. I can not find abd reference on google to thought maybe someone else has come across this.

Thanks
    Budman1
    Quote Quote  
  2. My guess is the early file system did not support all operations, OR because of the "epoch" began in 1980, like it does in FAT16 and exFAT
    Last edited by raffriff42; 10th Jun 2017 at 12:24. Reason: exFAT
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Raffriff42... Thanks so much. That makes perfect sense and the srcik is probably fat16 at best. It was driving me crazy with curiosity. Thanks again
    Bud
    Quote Quote  
  4. raffriff42 is correct. The FAT file systems use a date format where a 7 bit (possible values 0 to 127) year field indicates the number of years since 1980. That means the years it represents can only range from 1980 to 2107.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo thanks for the additional information. Now it makes perfect sense. I dont know why i missed that in my searches. I'll chalk it up to age. Lol
    Thanks all
    Bud
    Quote Quote