VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Key Digital KD-VP8 Video Processor

will the above be ok for capturing vhs as it says on the info ive read that there good quality with time base corrector ... does anyone know if these are any good please

thank you for your time
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It is a converter not a capture device, To get the video to the computer you need another HDMI capture card, That would be a double loss. It is be used as upscaler for analog video devices to hookup to a modern TV, That's its main purpose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How would an HDMI capture card be a double loss? With the right card, the uncompressed stream is grabbed directly.

hdfills: Often an advertisement of TBC just means frame TBC, i.e. the device is designed to "try" not to drop frames from the input and to provide a stable output. It may or may not mean that it does line TBC, which you want for VHS. Or vice-versa for some ads...
    Quote Quote  
  4. thank you both for your replys , it will be plugged into a blackmagic 4k capture card through hdmi, i will test today and see how i get on
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    double post
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    How would an HDMI capture card be a double loss? With the right card, the uncompressed stream is grabbed directly.
    First device: Composite to digital SD encoding, digital SD to HDMI upscaling/decoding/decompression (for TV viewing). Second device: HDMI capture and encoding/compression to whatever HDMI capture card codec uses, So probably more than double loss plus those devices usually are not cheap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    First device: Composite to digital SD encoding, digital SD to HDMI upscaling/decoding/decompression (for TV viewing).
    There is no encoding/compression or decompression. The path is analog 480i -> standard digital 480i uncompressed, that's it. Or 480p if the user insists on enabling deinterlacing. This video processor doesn't support upscaling to other resolutions.

Second device: HDMI capture and encoding/compression to whatever HDMI capture card codec uses, So probably more than double loss
    Again, HDMI capture cards exist that grab the stream as-is, spitting it out to the HDD as uncompressed or lossless. There is zero loss once it's been digitized inside the VP.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    How can you be sure that the video converter is not encoding or sampling at a lower standard such as 4:2:0 VS 4:2:2 for lossless USB capture, Second what is he going to do with at least 10.2 Gbps of HDMI data? He will be forced to encode it rather than store it as few TB chunks, even editing such huge files requires super powerful machine and a few hundred dollars software.

So compared to a "compressed" lossless USB or PC capture card that files can be handled without the need to do anything to them, requires less hardware, Very cheap, VS bulky devices, more cables, expensive, even if the quality breaks even, which I doubt it, its clearly the first one better, But that's just my opinion, I don't know what's his circumstances what kind of goals he wants to accomplish.

Just curious to how an HDMI capture card dumps uncompressed HDMI stream to the computer hard drive as USB speed is nowhere near 10.2Gbps speed ?
    Last edited by dellsam34; 11th Jun 2017 at 04:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How can you be sure that the video converter is not encoding or sampling at a lower standard such as 4:2:0 VS 4:2:2 for lossless USB capture
    It's easy enough to test. 4:2:0 is unlikely because it would actually add unnecessary complexity to the design, but it's possible.

Second what is he going to do with at least 10.2 Gbps of HDMI data?
    You're misunderstanding HDMI at a very basic level. It supports a wide range of resolutions, subsamplings, bit depths, and audio formats, each with their own bandwidth requirements. 10.2Gbps is the max for HDMI 1.3/1.4. That's 2160p30 with multichannel audio.

He will be forced to encode it rather than store it as few TB chunks, even editing such huge files requires super powerful machine and a few hundred dollars software.
    The capture and storage requirements are no different than for any other 480i capture (or 576i; OP hasn't stated region/source) with the same level of subsampling.

Just curious to how an HDMI capture card dumps uncompressed HDMI stream to the computer hard drive as USB speed is nowhere near 10.2Gbps speed ?
    USB 3.0 capture devices for uncompressed HDMI support lower resolutions / bit-depths / etc. than the HDMI maximums. None of this matters for SD.
    Quote Quote  
  10. tested and very happy very very stable picture and nice clear images
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hdfills View Post
    tested and very happy very very stable picture and nice clear images
    Just curious to what video format are you saving too on the hard drive?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    How can you be sure that the video converter is not encoding or sampling at a lower standard such as 4:2:0 VS 4:2:2 for lossless USB capture
    It's easy enough to test. 4:2:0 is unlikely because it would actually add unnecessary complexity to the design, but it's possible.

Second what is he going to do with at least 10.2 Gbps of HDMI data?
    You're misunderstanding HDMI at a very basic level. It supports a wide range of resolutions, subsamplings, bit depths, and audio formats, each with their own bandwidth requirements. 10.2Gbps is the max for HDMI 1.3/1.4. That's 2160p30 with multichannel audio.

He will be forced to encode it rather than store it as few TB chunks, even editing such huge files requires super powerful machine and a few hundred dollars software.
    The capture and storage requirements are no different than for any other 480i capture (or 576i; OP hasn't stated region/source) with the same level of subsampling.

USB 3.0 capture devices for uncompressed HDMI support lower resolutions / bit-depths / etc. than the HDMI maximums. None of this matters for SD.
    Yes I'm aware of SD uses less bandwith, It just didn't occur to me that the OP will be outputing SD at the HDMI capture card side, Also I assumed all HDMI capture cards have hardware encoder chips on them and they are locked to what ever codec they use. But since the OP doesn't seem to be worried about the fine details such as chroma sub and lossless capture I think all this doesn't matter, as long as he is happy with the final result.
    Quote Quote