VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if i'm in the right section or not but i am capturing.

I have been capturing a whole load of old Hi8 tapes without any issue, but there was one tape unlike the others that seems to have problems.
    Its a Sony Hi8 Metal-E (E5-60HMEX PAL 75). All the rest were Sony Hi8 Super MP.

The problem i am having is that it keeps intermittently squeaking/struggling as its playing, causing disruption to picture and sound.
    Its not the heads as all the other tapes were perfect, so it has to be the actual tape, could it be degradation? The last thing recorded on it says mid 2000s which is in LP.
    It seems to play alright in fast forward for some reason.

I don't think its due to incorrect storage, as it was with all the others which were perfect when capturing.

Any ideas of how i could solve this, or is it just old and knackered?

Thanks,
    V.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd ff/rw it a couple times, but all EP recorded DV is sketchy. usually only the cam that recorded them can play them back well. sometime a pro deck with adjustable tracking can but they are hard to come by these days.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually only the cam that recorded them can play them back well.
    Yeah, im playing it using the original cam.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hi8 doesn't use control track and the only way to change the tracking is by service adjustment. If there is a pro VCR with a tracking knob on the front, I would like to know which one 'cause I could use it!

For this problem tape, here is something you might try. Put the camera with the tape in the refrigerator for several hours, then run cables past the door seal and try playing with the cam still inside the fridge.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines
    For this problem tape, here is something you might try. Put the camera with the tape in the refrigerator for several hours, then run cables past the door seal and try playing with the cam still inside the fridge.
    Really? why would that work?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Richard Hess uses that method for squealing audio tape.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Have you tried opening the cassette shell to see if anything stuck between the reels interfering with their locking mechanism? Also it is a good idea to clean the tape path inside the cassette with alcohol to make sure the back side of the tape is not grabbing.
    Quote Quote