VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi folks.

Not new to the forums or video. Just been "out of the game" for a few years. Could not remember my old username nor do I even have access to whatever email address I was using back then. Just a bit of background.

I, very recently, purchased a Canon Legria HF G40 as well as the Canon SM-V1 Surround Microphone. The camera is fantastic (when compared to the DV cameras I had "way back when" and including my Sony HDR-FX1 that I had "back in the day" i.e. evidently the technology has come a very very long way in the past few years). However: I have a rather interesting problem. I noticed that the recorded sound seems to be "biased" (for want of a better word) to the right. In other words: sounds recorded originating from the right of the camera are distinctly recorded as coming from the right of the camera. However: sounds recorded originating from the left of the camera appear to be "mudied" with the rest of the channels (front, rear, and right). At first I questioned my hearing (but should have known better) i.e. when the files are opened in video editing software (I use Vegas Pro Studio 14.0) the issue can be clearly seen in the waveform for the left and right channels. I'm not sure if it's the mic. itself (have only read one comment on the Internet by someone else who bought this mic. and who said that the stereo separation is poor) or if it's Canon who may or may not be aware of this issue (one has to apply a firmware update to the camera in order for this mic. to work with the camera and I did update the firmware with no issues whatsoever and it's worth mentioning that the sound being recorded by the camera's internal mic. is still perfect so I doubt the firmware had anything to do with causing this issue but then again who knows).

Any ideas??? Thoughts??? Anybody else have this mic. / camera combination that's noticed something like this at all???

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dale.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Hmmmnnn...

Not what I wanted to find out. Just did some more tests by generating test tones and recording them via the built in mic. as well as via the line in. It would appear that this issue is not being caused by the SM-V1 mic. i.e. it would appear as though the SM-V1 mic. is simply accentuating the issue is all. Using the line in and performing the same test with the camera's internal mic: same issue (just not as noticeable). It's almost as if the left channel is not adequately isolated / separated from the right channe (or the left channel "bleeds" slightly onto the right channel)l but the same does not apply the other way around. There's probably a technical term for this (feel free to chime in anyone). I don't, however, have a very good feeling about this i.e. I can foresee many many trips, and explanations, to Canon here before the problem is understood and rectified.

Regards,

Dale.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd be inclined to say it's a defective cam. i've had a lot of canons and never run across that problem.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's not much difference between the HF G40 and the HF G30 which I have. I do not have this problem, either from the internal mikes (seldom used) or my Rode SVM, so I'm inclined to agree with aedipuss.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Good morning aedipuss and DeJay.

Thank you for your input.

I've contacted Canon (through the dealer) and am to take the camera in to them on Monday (we're going to test the camera and test the mic. on other cameras to compare). Canon say they've never had this issue with this model and that they suspect the mic. although, from my other tests, I'm not convinced but I guess we'll see. Fortunately I was able to speak with a senior technician who really did appear to understand what the issue was based on my explanation so "here's to hoping". It's a bit upsetting i.e. I've not had the camera a month yet and probably only used it for a total of about four hours max. Anyway: "thing's happen" as they say. Personally (and I've no really good reason for noting this other than a "feeling") I reckon it has to do with the firmware update that is required prior to being able to use the SM-V1 mic. Put another way: albeit that the left channel sound is not being clearly separated from the rest the sound is indeed crystal clear I have to say so I'm thinking / hoping that this is not a hardware / electronic problem. What concerns me is that the firmware that comes with the mic. is dated 01/01/2010 and the revision number is 1.0.1.2 BUT the latest firmware for the camera itself is dated 31/03/2016 and is revision number 1.0.1.0. Makes no sense to me at all. In other words: had I purchased the camera prior to 31/03/2016 (firmware revision would have been 1.0.0.0) and immediately installed the mic. (firmware revision 1.0.1.2) then I would never have been able to install the latest firmware revision 1.0.1.0 as the the firmware cannot be flashed to a previous version (only Canon can do this). It is probably worth noting that the mics. firmware file is only 35KB in size (as opposed to 25MB file for the 1.0.1.0 update). Is it possible that the mics. firmware was only a minor revision or possibly just a software switch for the mic. and the camera is capable of distinguishing between major and minor firmware updates??? Not sure (but seems like a bit of a "slippery slope" to me anyway). Anyway: I'll be sure to post the "fix" here.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Dale.
    Last edited by dpaterson; 9th Jun 2017 at 06:20.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I ask you in this thread, your hope of some good person, that having the same microphone SM-V1, that would kindly give me the copy of the firmware of this microphone. Answering this post and contacting me possibly in private. I hope for your help, because I cannot find my SD card anymore. Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Dale, I have seen one or two posts elsewhere about one sided audio and if I recall correctly, it was a problem with the camera. The firmware update merely added 8Mbps mp4 support. This from the Canon website.

Firmware Version 1.0.1.0 incorporates the following enhancement:
    1. An 8Mbps bit rate setting has been added to the MP4 format. (Resolution: 1280x720, Frame rate: 59.94P for NTSC recording and 50.00P for PAL recording.)

Fidelio, software and firmware updates are available from the Canon website.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ChapmanDolly View Post
    Fidelio, software and firmware updates are available from the Canon website.
    Unfortunately the firmware for the SM-V1 microphone it's not present. But if you saw it, tell me where. Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is no firmware update for the microphone. the firmware sd card included with the microphone is to update the firmware of one of the few canon camcorders it works with that you put the mic on. the new cam firmware allows it to record 5.1 audio. note, it only works when the cam is in AVCHD recording mode.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    there is no firmware update for the microphone. the firmware sd card included with the microphone is to update the firmware of one of the few canon camcorders it works with that you put the mic on. the new cam firmware allows it to record 5.1 audio. note, it only works when the cam is in AVCHD recording mode.
    All right aedipuss! Can you give me this SD card firmware? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Folks.

Came across this thread of mine by chance. Apologies for not updating. And apologies for not seeing the posts requesting the firmware.

To begin with: I never got to the bottom of the problem i.e. the camera developed a bad pixel and Canon replaced the camera and I've not really used the replacement up until now (and about to update the firmware for the mic.). Hopefully not the same issue as the last one.

I'm attaching the firmware file for the mic here (you just need to unzip the attached file). But please do note it's only for use on the EU model of this camera (I think anyway i.e. use at your own risk but I do assure you it's straight off the memory card that came with my mic.).

Regards,

Dale.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote