VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    A few weeks ago I attempted installation of '10' on a refurb'ed Dell computer (<-legitimate copy, activated ok), this is as far as I went.

Was at a point where they wanted an email address.

Gave them an address (gmail) I use when sites require a valid address. Like I said, this is as far as I went.

80-90% of my mail has been rerouted to this 'junk' address, to a spam folder, no less. (some is actually lost in the ether, its gone baby!) (some is/was sent back to sender as un-mailable)

Cox Cable (my primary) changed email setup online about the same time. I have spent several hours with cox tech help, to no avail. (I dont think its Cox)

Is this the way 10 works? Can I undo this can of worms??

Any ideas?

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought Windows 10 gave you the option to logon with a local address (no email needed) or an email address associated with
    a Microsoft account. It sure seems odd that associating an existing email address
    with an MS account could cause this situation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like an actual email issue, not related to Windows 10. Windows has nothing to do with how Cox or Gmail route your email.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Need additional information.

You have a primary e-mail address at the domain of your ISP, right?

You gave, to some third party, an e-mail address that YOU USE, for some unknown and unfathomable reason, instead of creating a new and separate one, for them and them alone, right? This was incredibly stupid. I mean brain-dead, lobotomy level stupid. Jesus.

These "sites which require a valid e-mail address". Would that by any chance include your ISP, as in the primary contact address for your ISP account which would have the power to control your entire cable account, including your email at that domain and it's routing and destination? This would be the ONLY avenue I can see which would account for the results you have described. However your failure to identify specific parties and domains instead of using general and non-specific terms makes a definitive conclusion unclear.

Describe the domain to which re-routed email was originally addressed. Describe changes made to online email setup by ISP. Describe any and all MS accounts attached to email address foolishly given to third party. Describe third party ethics and morality level, and whether or not there is a teenage boy in the household.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bought refurbed comp from 'Fry's Electronics', it has valid 10 installed, activation required, (scratch-off sticker over 25 dig #'s code), required email, no other option, could not even go 'back', it was email or nothing, I gave (gmail) email address I use for just this purpose, (<-address required, I never really want to hear from these people again).

Cox only requires password for logging on o/l, on the phone they require (my) pin #. I did not give myaddress@cox.net

"
    You have a primary e-mail address at the domain of your ISP, right? *@cox.net

You gave, to some third party, an e-mail address that YOU USE, for some unknown and unfathomable reason, instead of creating a new and separate one, for them and them alone, right? This was incredibly stupid. I mean brain-dead, lobotomy level stupid. Jesus.

like I said, some sites require a valid address, *@gmail.com is valid & serves its purpose, thats all its for, its not linked to cox mail, well it wasnt before, anyway, , , dont hold anything back!

These "sites which require a valid e-mail address". Would that by any chance include your ISP, as in the primary contact address for your ISP account which would have the power to control your entire cable account, including your email at that domain and it's routing and destination? This would be the ONLY avenue I can see which would account for the results you have described. However your failure to identify specific parties and domains instead of using general and non-specific terms makes a definitive conclusion unclear.

cox is my primary account, I didnt give it to them

Describe the domain to which re-routed email was originally addressed. Describe changes made to online email setup by ISP. Describe any and all MS accounts attached to email address foolishly given to third party. Describe third party ethics and morality level, and whether or not there is a teenage boy in the household. "

https://www.cox.com/residential/home.html

Mail changes I think mainly to accomodate cox on phones rather than large screens

I do not have any ms accounts, period, (that I know of)

Describe the ethics of microsoft? in the toilet??

no teenagers
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Microsoft accounts for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. I also used a Gmail account to register. (It isn't a junk account BTW.) I have not experienced any changes in my email as a result.

Gmail and Yahoo have both been hacked with alarming frequency. Maybe your Gmail account was compromised.

In your place, I would be checking the settings on all my email accounts and changing all my passwords. Hopefully you are not the type of person who re-uses the same password on multiple accounts.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. There is no linkage between Cox and Gmail, UNLESS you used the same password for both, OR if you gave the gmail address to Cox as a contact e-mail.

In either case, there would need to be a level of dishonesty in the people with the actual PC for this to happen.

It is possible that Cox could screw up and re-route your Cox e-mail to your gmail account, but ONLY if you gave Cox that gmail address.

So, either you screwed up by using the same password and handing it to dishonest people, OR you screwed up by giving Cox the gmail address and forgetting that you did, AND then compounded that screwup by handing that account to ANYONE AT ALL, much less dishonest people.

Call Cox, change password, disable forwarding, make strenuous effort to determine WHEN and HOW forwarding was established, stop using Gmail account, change that password, and NEVER, EVER hand out a valid email address with password to ANYONE, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. You can make a new one on THEIR phone in a few seconds. There is no excuse for doing what you did, it was stupid.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    There is no linkage between Cox and Gmail, UNLESS you used the same password for both, OR if you gave the gmail address to Cox as a contact e-mail.

Did neither, , , , ,

In either case, there would need to be a level of dishonesty in the people with the actual PC for this to happen.

It is possible that Cox could screw up and re-route your Cox e-mail to your gmail account, but ONLY if you gave Cox that gmail address.

like I said, didnt, , , ,

So, either you screwed up by using the same password and handing it to dishonest people, OR you screwed up by giving Cox the gmail address and forgetting that you did, AND then compounded that screwup by handing that account to ANYONE AT ALL, much less dishonest people.

Again, didnt, , , ,

Call Cox, change password, disable forwarding, make strenuous effort to determine WHEN and HOW forwarding was established, stop using Gmail account, change that password, and NEVER, EVER hand out a valid email address with password to ANYONE, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. You can make a new one on THEIR phone in a few seconds. There is no excuse for doing what you did, it was stupid.
    If I could disable forwarding/determine what happened, I wouldnt be asking for help. I spent a few hours with cox tech on phone, maybe an hour online/cox forums, they still trying, , , , for nothing, yet.

I NEVER EVER handed out (either) address &/or password to ANYONE, OK? OK???

After several attempts, I managed to get gmail to fwd mail to my primary account, <- yeah, yeah, but they are addressed to primary account anyway.

And having done that, what can you glean from this? (gmail is for junk-----cox.com is primary)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Return-Path: <artiexxxxx+caf_=xxxxxxx=cox.net@gmail.com>
    Delivered-To: 3@3471531
    Received: from imap-director-1.dovecot.iad.rs.oxcs.net ([10.12.2.2])
    by imap-backend-9.dovecot.iad.rs.oxcs.net (Dovecot) with LMTP id 0xINAaWDPVmIUgAArdSfsg
    for <3@3471531>; Sun, 11 Jun 2017 17:53:41 +0000
    Received: from mx.cox.rs.oxcs.net ([10.12.2.2])
    by imap-director-1.dovecot.iad.rs.oxcs.net (Dovecot) with LMTP id CNfPAKWDPVmpKwAAW3+JEg
    ; Sun, 11 Jun 2017 17:53:41 +0000
    Received: from fed1rmimpi112.cox.net (unknown [68.230.241.188])
    by mx.cox.rs.oxcs.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 3wm3YJ4Hvlzdg9G
    for <xxxxxxxxxx@cox.net>; Sun, 11 Jun 2017 17:53:40 +0000 (UTC)
    Received: from mail-qt0-f171.google.com ([209.85.216.171])
    by fed1rmimpi112.cox.net with cox
    id XVtP1v01U3iTc1M01Vtf2r; Sun, 11 Jun 2017 13:53:39 -0400
    Message-Id: <XVtP1v01U3iTc1M01Vtf2r>
    X-CT-Score: NA
    X-Authority-Analysis: v=2.2 cv=Btzt+cf5 c=1 sm=1 tr=0 p=YaOo3iz73QNuP_sZ:21
    p=gmkr5M0X9Hk2a-Xz:21 p=NHIWEoyY1Rt_fgdH:21 a=XVaprR+9DopW6IhmWnI0hg==:117
    a=uz24InLD9lXJEphcrbI7Jw==:17 a=LWSFodeU3zMA:10 a=D33_MH4LBtgA:10
    a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=GslWkToAAAAA:8 a=g01HqtRdAAAA:8 a=3j4BkbkPAAAA:8
    a=1XWaLZrsAAAA:8 a=JqEG_dyiAAAA:8 a=BkpHzsgbAAAA:8 a=vnREMb7VAAAA:8
    a=j7ZzucmxCMQkkPfjhOcA:9 a=S9YOq-Qpp6pliS2n:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10
    a=PCZMqk7kMcMA:10 a=SSmOFEACAAAA:8 a=HZCCwZ_FK4T-yXheMigA:9
    a=a3-7WN9PhuaHn0i8:21 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=frz4AuCg-hUA:10 a=FgEcgaHh_ScA:10
    a=hMN0kFv9xGYA:10 a=ohN91rjJR0gA:10 a=xqSgckt7prMA:10 a=dlUa3Zs8v54A:10
    a=p403mkujtbAA:10 a=AW83cPV28BVVN5trNYUm:22 a=sax4apFqf46AyCUkh94U:22
    X-CM-Score: 96.00
    Received: by mail-qt0-f171.google.com with SMTP id w1so105718553qtg.2
    for <xxxxxxxx@cox.net>; Sun, 11 Jun 2017 10:53:40 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
    d=1e100.net; s=20161025;
    h=x-gm-message-state:delivered-to:dkim-signatureubject:from:to:date
    :list-unsubscribe:message-id:mime-version;
    bh=77jjBsiGR8u2L3NChMht22BdItfE4qKTwdCi12izRL4=;
    b=d/VYy8dcj4wYbRVOjLGm5IW9gzxFh7KQA+6yM85fVQSjGfB3/z1w9nne2fza2iKeZH
    BuKdIDABc3arlH2ZEhMWRwAIItUZ1wwVxLLUdc4UTKkRHbvDl+ 4u54qEALCf6jnw3wZu
    FSiYJagf/oU86lraDTlSQfx5D54RiFVH/B+10iYYuo1jGf9noeMrH+BfXu0uSInW0kNq
    xfpflgs7KCHDcqLvYDwTl837RfI0tOauZzgZyOkWY2c9pR/HU3rXeaR3bGMixMMrGRJV
    YZRpUkm0teHFJinztr24WaUsCPUwRZtEciseYJbVCru6Ch1lXQ NgoUpfpz/cCRY0sZKd
    I8pw==
    X-Gm-Message-State: AODbwcDuAbenjQFfjS+t/AK0jdzIvN7ASyN5eyYYHxFJfO9Q4ht0kvVN
    LQLBcMQ4SpxsyJDwSPlzsTS+HP2qyFXUxUmvES6tKA==
    X-Received: by 10.200.41.60 with SMTP id y57mr14795126qty.193.1497203619818;
    Sun, 11 Jun 2017 10:53:39 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Forwarded-To: xxxxxxxx@cox.net
    X-Forwarded-For: artiexxxxx@gmail.com xxxxxxxx@cox.net
    Delivered-To: artiexxxx@gmail.com
    Received: by 10.200.52.4 with SMTP id u4csp596352qtb;
    Sun, 11 Jun 2017 10:53:38 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Received: by 10.84.193.36 with SMTP id e33mr40902212pld.293.1497203618846;
    ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1497203618; cv=none;
    d=google.com; s=arc-20160816;
    b=IkQX27X8cs5S5RtqaK8Dp1P/eihY8TkSsHzW7I/nqxTUBj6d4QKdYD+/DFVkkzv9JO
    /lo7XEKjegujBg754QxyUQAlVWPPy+eVgml4VTXwHvr88ace4Xb FI7oTl/WCx53TNaFz
    y3+QhNvqZnVlnXgq1FepypMFt0ztRNlzxGXhi+kVfhSTfMeVwM AddRAhuTb3/xAlbd2b
    mqKrTUzSbfsRlDgXXVLbmLwHvk3z0D3s6pYqmO//o2QGl9CJ6Mkfgoi4RhB6ADpTr6Gs
    4a9UjMjc4gNW7B9NwO3dyMVHxsw00h5brXHDlghoWRB01vRVV1 3HeuWtTzdt5gz+/ORf
    /68w==
    ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816;
    h=mime-version:message-id:list-unsubscribe:date:to:fromubject
    :dkim-signature:arc-authentication-results;
    bh=77jjBsiGR8u2L3NChMht22BdItfE4qKTwdCi12izRL4=;
    b=zQ9ELdOrnCPn58v8ePZS6MTnu13ilFlr9IA4GCCjcYzHqeQ5 OEk6oUrjdVBPwh506s
    x+Lgl+4DuNThuKuHySc7hWxJk0XDfsRFdLZc5Y1/GZ4iaiMlTEOYF2W3Gt/hBikZ/K5Y
    llf2fXa5aVCtyu6rmrllQyJbJBua2NuFmwLwba2f8ZTiisJDjH AiCn0/GtEfKcpTlMCJ
    PCHN3aalt65dxAoa+VIwaS95u/MzZ6IB8GxExTs6qpLDqgYFOJCE7DixPtXigl0X8Tdf
    8xDKyZKX+5bPlZTbkdLOcfv9L5JPGM2Sv6SsJ/yvzVgrDevHj3l/6+cn7aUrBt55Ld6D
    6eKQ==
    ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com;
    dkim=pass header.i=@deals.frys.com;
    spf=pass (google.com: domain of return-a2leta6sxze5jg2qbca6ja37cud4bdxz=9@deals.frys.com designates 209.31.22.56 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=return-A2LETA6SXZE5JG2QBCA6JA37CUD4BDXZ=9@deals.frys.com
    Received: from smtp1-2.deals.frys.com (smtp1-2.deals.frys.com. [209.31.22.56])
    by mx.google.com with ESMTP id d29si9499652pgn.47.2017.06.11.10.53.38
    for <artiexxxxx@gmail.com>;
    Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of return-a2leta6sxze5jg2qbca6ja37cud4bdxz=9@deals.frys.com designates 209.31.22.56 as permitted sender) client-ip=209.31.22.56;
    Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
    dkim=pass header.i=@deals.frys.com;
    Last edited by cornemuse; 21st Jun 2017 at 17:33. Reason: feng shui
    Quote Quote  
  9. I can only glean that you don't speak english very well. In your first post, you stated clearly that you gave the gmail address to the new PC user. Now you say you never ever did so. Reminds me of a pregnant teenager.

Unless you choose to conclude that this happened from random chance, somebody, somewhere, had both e-mail addresses, plus at least one password or the passwords are very simple.

Your failure to concisely describe your actions is consistent, it is remarkable that the focus of the lack of clarity is almost invariably also the focus of where the problem is generated.

Good luck to you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ha! Ha! I got an email saying my facebook account was hacked!!

Dont know if it was from ip or to gmail, , , , Yow!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    Ha! Ha! I got an email saying my facebook account was hacked!!

Dont know if it was from ip or to gmail, , , , Yow!!
    I hope you are laughing because you are aware such emails are often phishing scams and you need to proceed with caution.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm laughing 'cause I dont have a facebook account!
    Quote Quote