VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a SONY CCD-TRV65 Hi8 camcorder. Tapes play with vertical jitter when TBC is turned off but plays fine with TBC turned on. However during capture, I can see pixelation near the top of the video. This occurs on all tapes. The same tapes captures fine on another SONY Hi8 camcorder and do not have vertical jitter when TBC is turned off. I have a feeling one of the electronic components like capacitor or resistor has died and this is a common problem on this model. I have attached example videos.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. The "pixelation" problem appears to be limited to one field.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just viewing in VLC on my phone at the moment, but the "pixelation" just looks like flagging that the capture device is struggling to deal with. (Which capture device?)

The general image quality would be more concerning than the flagging, to me. Such ugly sharpening artifacts. The CCD-TR818 and DCR-TRV340 I've tried add the same garbage though. EDIT mode on the CCD simply disables chroma DNR. The DNR switch only enables/disables luma DNR. Digital8 models have no EDIT switch, forcing always-on chroma DNR with some associated trailing artifacts.

I dropped off a tape to 12voltvids (YouTube) to transfer using his deck, but haven't picked it up yet. He's about 35km away and I don't head out to that area often.
    Last edited by Brad; 7th Jun 2017 at 09:23.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capture device is ADVC300. Is it's DNR really that bad? I can't tell. Looks fine to me. If only someone has done / can do a side by side comparison.

I have EDIT mode OFF.

I've been watching 12voltvids videos too. He must the most popular electronic repair man on youtube? He makes it look easy repairing vintage electronics, just replace a capacitor/resistor. I even bought a Fluke 115 and ESR meter because of him.

Can you ask him what could be the problem with my Hi8 camcorder?

Do you know any other good repairman on youtube? I'm starting to watch Jordan Pier. Found a Rosie O'Kelley video, I was like O_o

Edit: Correction: The DNR is from the camcorder itself, not ADVC300 since I'm using S-video cable.
    Last edited by digicube; 8th Jun 2017 at 17:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The camcorder chroma DNR artifacts are rarely notable. The main point of my rant was that the EDIT mode can't disable the sharpening, which is the actual problem.

I could try to ask him, but you may have better luck sending him a YT msg or email.

I don't know other repair vloggers.. besides Ben Heck.

For troubleshooting, grab a blank section of tape and record to it using TRV65 (with the camcorder resting still on a surface or tripod). Play it back on the same camcorder and then other models you have and see what happens.
    Quote Quote