VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

*Sorry I accidentally posted before I properly wrote the subject/heading.
    I had 2 M4V files my HD Recorder wouldn't play off USB, so as I know it plays .ts using mkvtoolnix I demuxed the video and audio then using "tsMuxeR GUI 2.6.12" combined / output the video and audio as .ts.
    However I've noticed there's a General tab with the 3 options
    1) Mux VBR
    2) Restricted VBR (you can change values)
    3) Mux CBR (you can change values)

I have always thought muxing together an audio and video file was lossless?, I don't understand how it could be lossless when you can change the values in the 2nd and 3rd options?
    I have used the first option "Mux VBR" which was default, however I've noticed that both of the output .ts files I've made are 100MB larger than the original M4V files I started with.
    Does this all seem lossless?
    As far as I know mkvtoolnix and tsmuxer GUi 2.6.12 only work losslessly?
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Marsia Mariner
    Both the MPG and the (M2)TS containers have a lot more overhead than the "normal" containers, which use global headers.
    The transport stream format was designed for digital broadcasting, not for local storage and playback.
    A .ts file with the same contents as an MP4 or MKV will always be bigger than these latter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Marsia Mariner View Post
    Both the MPG and the (M2)TS containers have a lot more overhead than the "normal" containers, which use global headers.
    The transport stream format was designed for digital broadcasting, not for local storage and playback.
    A .ts file with the same contents as an MP4 or MKV will always be bigger than these latter.
    OK that's good news!
    Still confused though as to if those 3 bitrate settings are all lossless?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. They are. Leave setting to "Mux VBR", don't worry about the other settings.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Usually my HD Recorder will play off USB .mkv with h264 video and AAC audio.
    But with 2 new videos I have it would jam after the first 5-10 secs in these 2 particular videos.
    That's why I've demuxed the audio / video and made them .ts with tsMuxeR, which now works (however my DVRecorder is having problems fast forwarding / rewinding) but at least it now plays the videos as .ts file.
    I don't know they wouldn't play as h264 AAC audio .mkv's as I've never had that problem before....
    Quote Quote  
  6. MediaInfo of working and not-working mkv files? Sometimes it is about muxing. Try to add --clusters-in-meta-seek --disable-track-statistics-tags --engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position additional command-line options for mkvmerge.
    https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/wiki/Improving-playback-compatibility-with-players
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thank-You
    Quote Quote