VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have here older windows 7 image from 2011, clean with all software I needed updated to that date, it is Windows 7 Pro, all bloatware is uninstalled that came with that PC.

I'd like to install that image now, should I expect any problem ? Because windows needs to be updated right after, it is going to take some time. Is it going to be exposed for a while due recent ransomware affair etc ? Or should I expect other problems because it is basically 6 years old?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the problem may be the shear volume of updates needed. literally hundreds. i'd install the image offline. turn off automatic windows updates. install current antivirus from a cd or usb stick. go online update a/v. then check for windows updates. i usually only install about 20 at a time and reboot.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. As long as the hardware is the same I wouldn't expect any particualr issues just because of the age of the image.

Microsoft released a large downloadable convenience rollup, all available updates up to the point the rollup was released as far as I know, for Windows 7 due the the problems people were having installing updates after a fresh install. I am not sure what impact installing that would have when some of the updates may already be installed though.

I would suggest downloading that convenience rollup and at least the specific patch for the ransomware issues in advance, plus any other available updates you may want, and disconnect the PC from the internet before restoring the image. Install the downloaded updates before reconnecting the PC and running a futher update check within Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sorry, forgot to post this link to a guide to the convenience rollup. This doesn't include the ransomware patch, but you can Google for the version you need.

https://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-c...nience-rollup/
    Last edited by davejavu; 4th Jun 2017 at 16:59.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ransomware is included in the latest (May) rollup: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4019264
    Basically, you need SP1, Servicing Stack and 2016 Convenience Rollup. Best to integrate into ISO and install from that (like davejavu's guide explains). Then the may rollup I linked. And only after that connect to the Internet and let Windows Update do the rest.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Laurence Burke View Post
    Windows 7 its good Operating System friends but I will prefer you about using Windows 10 Operating System. My opinion is Windows 10 it's well more than Windows 7. In Windows 10 you will get by default good Antivirus software.
    Why did you feel the need to share that? It has nothing to do with the OP's query.
    Quote Quote