VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. lets say i've made a dvd rip of some anime that was in 480p format (upscaled it to 720p) in x265 format and constant quality with around 3600 kbps

if i want to apply some more changes can i apply the to the already ripped MKV file ?

i know that always its better but to save some time , would it be considered that the rip is with almost no loss of detail? (the anime is not so detailed to being with)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A lossless rip of the DVD is when you make a transfer to the HDD and the data is as it was was, no encoding or conversion has taken place.

You're talking about re-encoding an HEVC file (either in whole or part) that you made earlier from a DVD rip.
    Yes, there is always some loss, but it may or may not not be noticeable during casual viewing. Results may look better or worse
    depending on the material and encoder settings.

But you knew this already ... Why don't you try it and see what you can see.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    up-scaling a DVD is a horrible idea
    DVD copy = perfection
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    A perfect rip is an ISO file. Next is a rip of the file structure. Then a rip of the video and the audio streams, possibly concatenated and placed in a different container, but not transcoded. Turning MPEG2 into HEVC is far from lossless.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    A perfect rip is an ISO file. Next is a rip of the file structure.
    There is no difference between an ISO image of a DVD and a VIDEO-TS folder copy of a DVD.....just like there is no difference between the original MPEG2 files used to create the DVD and the MPEG2 video inside the VOB files....it's a container change.....nothing else.
    Quote Quote  
  6. As point out earlier x265 is lossy format. upscaling to 720p does not add any new data to a 480 rip
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by mayaw View Post
    It is hardly possible to rip a DVD to digital file with original quality.
    Nonsense. Why are you spamming us with a crappy commercial product?
    Quote Quote