VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I'm looking for help with ripping a specific DVD.

The DVD has a menu screen and one title.

The menu selections skip to sections within the one title.

The sections have two different aspect ratios - most appear to be 4:3, but some are 16:9.

I ripped the DVD using DVD Shrink and then encoded the ripped DVD to MP4 using Handbrake.

When I played back the MP4 of the single title using VLC Media Player, the entire video is in the 4:3 aspect ratio, even the sections originally recorded in 16:9, if that makes sense.

Is it possible to have a single MP4, which changes between 4:3 and 16:9, as required?

Or, can I split each section of the DVD into individual MP4 files, with their own aspect ratio?

Where am I going wrong?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Kind regards.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The whole thing might be 16:9 and the 4:3 sections are in a 16:9 "frame" with black borders down each side for a total aspect ratio of 16:9, and Handbrake's auto-cropping is cropping the borders from the 4:3 sections but it's also cropping the 16:9 sections the same way (the same cropping applies throughout). Are the 16:9 sections squished to 4:3 or has some of the picture been removed from each side? If it's the latter, then disabling HandBrake's auto-cropping would probably fix the problem. It'd all be encoded as 16:9 and the 4:3 sections would have borders down each side to keep them 16:9 too, like the original DVD.

Or if there are two aspect ratios, you can split the DVD into sections. Open the ripped files with DVDShrink and select re-author mode at the top. Drag the title from the right pane to the left. Use the edit button at the top of the left pane to edit it down to a specific section. Drag the same title from the right pane to the left pane again and edit it down to a different section. Repeat until you've done the whole DVD. Use the backup function and when it's done, the new version have an individual title for each section. I'm not sure a single title can have more than one aspect ratio so there might be multiple titles in the right pane, but either way the principle is the same. Drag the ones you need to the left and edit as required.

Don't forget to disable DVDShrink's compression so it doesn't try to "shrink".
    Quote Quote