VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a mpeg2 file which is pretty bad condition. I assume it has blocking artifacts all over the video. How can I determinate this problem ? Help would be nice.

Sampler:

https://mega.nz/#!vNUTkawJ!Ylz8FVR1SPVYCiqC77Juld47kfYGq6KvL0Oj2ARoU0Y
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I don't see any block noise. I do see field-blending, which must have been some moron's idea of deinterlacing. I assume you see the bad flicker. Also, bad video levels and crushed blacks. Thought I'd give it a try. Not much you can do about the blending, though. Maybe someone will have some ideas.

Code:
    MPEG2Source("VTS_01_2.demuxed.d2v")
    ColorYUV(off_y=8)
    ReduceFlicker(strength=3,aggressive=true,grey=false,planar=true)
    LSFMOD(edgemode=2)

ConvertToRGB32(matrix="Rec601",interlaced=true)
    LoadVirtualDubPlugin("D:\VirtualDub\plugins\Deflick.vdf", "DeFlick",1)
    DeFlick(0, 10, 0, 0, 0)
    ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
    return last
    Change the path statements in the above script to match your system.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by LMotlow; 1st Jun 2017 at 06:58. Reason: delete RemoveDirt from script. Not needed.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for script ! I'll make some test encodes.

More comments welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Deflicker didn't work. Script error is : invalid arguments to function "deflick" . Help would be nice.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Are you using the same script?
    You must have deflick.vdf in your VirtualDub plugins.
    There are 5 (and only 5) parameters to the VDub filter. Four of them are 0's, one of them is 10. Seems kinda tough to get that wrong. Check for typos.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes I'm using same script.
    My VirtualDub is portable. Plugins works when I open with VirtualDub directly but no luck with Avisynth.
    There is no Avisynth filter for this?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry to see you have to use an unconventional setup. That's gets you out of Virtualdub usage unless you want to save Avisynth output and open it separately in Virtualdub, because there's a lot of Virtualdub stuff that's very handy, especially for color work.

DeFlicker.vdf is a weaker version of ReduceFlicker. It was just enough to clear the very last of the flicker. You can try another iteration of ReduceFlicker that's less aggressive to see if it clears the image, but it will further soften the video slightly more than DeFlicker does.

Code:
    ReduceFlicker(strength=2,grey=false,planar=true)
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't think you need to use deflick. In fact, a single call to ReduceFlicker() is probably good enough for most of the clip. Even that is damaging the picture quite at lot. I'd look at a little noise reduction though. Maybe RemoveDirtMC(30) or so (after flicker reduction).
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Jun 2017 at 13:49.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't think you need to use deflick. In fact, a single call to ReduceFlicker() is probably good enough for most of the clip.
    Try it.

RemoveDirtMC was part of the original script I posted, but I removed it. It did little or nothing. Had no effect on flicker.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 3rd Jun 2017 at 12:24.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks ! I am appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  11. deflick is all that will work on flicker, remove dirt, Neat, etc.. I dont think will do anything for flicker.

Ive used deflick filters in vdub and had good success with mild flick like I see in the attached video..

GL,
    Andrew
    Quote Quote