VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BBC Store to close after failing to compete with streaming services from Netflix and Amazon

•The broadcaster announced the service will close for good on November 1
    •BBC Store, launched 18 months ago, lets you buy and download classic TV shows
    •But the store will close because of a 'growing appetite' for streaming services
    •Customers will be refunded for every show they've bought in the last 18 months

By Daisy Dunne For Mailonline

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4541750/BBC-Store-close-failing-compete-Netflix.html

CJB
    Quote Quote  
  2. If it's a buy and download service, why do they have to refund customers?

I can only assume it's inflicted with DRM that'll prevent people from playing the video they "bought" after the store closes. Anyone know?

Never mind, I found a link https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/25/bbc-store-closing-november/
    "customers will no longer be able to access the content they've paid for"

Maybe it's not that people prefer streaming a such, but if purchased content is too restricted in respect to playback options, streaming might be preferable to that. It's not the first time a store has closed, preventing users from playing the content they apparently bought, so maybe people are wary of being burned, and it's not that they prefer streaming as such.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 30th May 2017 at 12:05.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I rarely if ever check the news here but I did today. Much of what I view comes from BBC and other British theatres available through them.
    I'm unclear about how this will effect dvd's of their product. Netflix etc as stated give you one shot after purchase so far as I can tell from reading this.

Our library depends on getting dvd product for their collections.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    I rarely if ever check the news here but I did today. Much of what I view comes from BBC and other British theatres available through them.
    I'm unclear about how this will effect dvd's of their product. Netflix etc as stated give you one shot after purchase so far as I can tell from reading this.

Our library depends on getting dvd product for their collections.
    I believe their DVD collections will still be available. The above issues only apply to the DRM'd downloads.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have to say that they are lacking on the original content. That is the most obvious reason why they need to close their service.
    Quote Quote  
  6. There is a new streaming service for BBC & ITV programming. It is called BritBox. Here is a link:

https://www.britbox.com/

I hope they launch it in Canada as it looks like there is quite a collection of TV shows to watch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ So just who is this aimed at ?

Certainly not for the UK.

Possibly a combined i-player/itv-player for the US ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Here is some additional information:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/07/british-tv-streaming-service-britbox-launches-in-u-s/

There is support for it to be on Roku and Chromecast.

There are U.S. citizens who enjoy U.K. shows so it is aimed at them. If it succeeds time will tell. We can get AcornTV here in Canada. I have not tried that yet. I haven't tried Netflix Canada yet. Netflix Canada doesn't have enough of a selection for my liking. I did try Showmi and CraveTV. Showmi was shut down as it didn't catch on with enough people. I didn't like the CraveTV interface so I dropped it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Strange.

The BBC stop the 'Store' since they claim they could not complete with the likes of Netfix. Yet they start another service which is in competition with that. But I expect any BBC content available elsewhere to be made exclusively available here.

Good luck. $7 a month tho.

But no archive stuff for the UK !!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote