VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lately, I've been muxing my 720p MKV files of TV show episodes into Transport Stream (TS) format (with TSmuxer that I won't have to wait hours and hours for Toast to force an encode the video.

Much of the time it works like a treat, but I've been noticing lately that on some Toast projects, the "Space Remaining" capacity being reported in Toast is WAY too 'generous' compared to if I put the original MKV files in the pane.

For example, I'm trying to author a High-Def DVD project with three 45-minute 720p TV episodes on it. Encoding is set to "never", average bitrate is set to 4.5 and max. is set to 10.

With the three MKV files, the space used is reported as 4.22GB, with 173.6 MB remaining. However, if I put my three .TS files in there instead, the space used drops dramatically to 1.07GB, with 3.32 GB remaining.

The files are all about the same size: The three MKV files are 678mb, 622mb and 1.56gb, while the three TS files are 727mb, 798mb and 1.63gb. If anything, they should consume more space rather than way less, right?

If I try to dump more files into the list to "fill up" the space, I'll get an error message telling me there isn't enough space on the disc. If I leave things the way they are, I can see a huge "unburnt" portion on the recording side of the disc.

Anybody know a fix, or if I'm doing anything wrong? I like that the TS files don't have to go through Toast encoding, but these wildly differing usage spaces bother me, especially as it doesn't always happen. I seem to notice it more with discs where I'm putting multiple episodes on, though.

Andy
    Last edited by amckinney; 28th May 2017 at 14:57. Reason: fixed name of muxing software to TSmuxer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don’t know this TSso tool that you use for TS muxing. A quick Google search turned up nothing.
    Toast usually re-encodes everything that it finds to be not compliant with the output format. Even with “Reencoding: Never”. The only AVC files Toast would accept as compliant for HD for me, were those encoded by Toast in an earlier step. I don’t know what it checks for in AVC files precisely, but maybe .TS files pass more easily?
    I would like to try and replicate your method.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case View Post
    I don’t know this TSso tool that you use for TS muxing. A quick Google search turned up nothing.
    Toast usually re-encodes everything that it finds to be not compliant with the output format. Even with “Reencoding: Never”. The only AVC files Toast would accept as compliant for HD for me, were those encoded by Toast in an earlier step. I don’t know what it checks for in AVC files precisely, but maybe .TS files pass more easily?
    I would like to try and replicate your method.
    I meant to type TSmuxer, rather than TSso, sorry. I take my MKV files, mux them to .TS format, and usually leave all options checked/unchecked as they are, so I dont' change teh framerate (unless I know it to be wrong), I never change the "level". Also, "insert SEI and VUI data if absent" is left "on", and the box labeled "Continually insert SPS/PPS" is left checked.
    Quote Quote