VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Could someone recommend a 4K codec to use? I am exporting exr sequence files, rendered out of a 3D application, and I need to generate an intermediate file for further editing. I am using premiere pro cs6.

I've tried utvideo, but go color banding (maybe I didn't set up the correct settings)
    I've also tried the cineform codec (by installing the GoPro Studio) and I get an error on export stating "CFRenderProc has stopped working"

If one of the top codecs is the one to use, I'll keep messing with them to fix the issues.

If cineform, does it matter between avi or mov? I'm on win 7 64 bit. TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You might try Avid's DNxHD or DNxHR. I try to stay away from MOVs on Windows because Explorer insists on scanning them and bogs down the processor. I thought CineForm was supposed to be hot stuff right now; too bad it's bombing out on you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ..
    Last edited by pippas; 25th May 2017 at 14:25. Reason: duplicate post
    Quote Quote  
  4. I find Grass Valley HQX a useful intermediate for editing 4K.

Similar quality to Cineform .. and free - which is useful !
    Quote Quote  
  5. Another option is to use them natively; the old proexr plugin has been made free this year
    http://www.fnordware.com/ProEXR/

If the goal was editing/performance, you can use a proxy workflow and still swap to the native files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jfharper View Post

I've tried utvideo, but go color banding (maybe I didn't set up the correct settings)
    Ut Video is a lossless codec, so anything you feed into should be 100% retained. Maybe you need to move up to 10-bit or maybe move above 4:2:0 when working with your 3D creations.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Originally Posted by jfharper View Post

Ut Video is a lossless codec, so anything you feed into should be 100% retained. Maybe you need to move up to 10-bit or maybe move above 4:2:0 when working with your 3D creations.
    100% retained at the same bit depth and color model

But EXR is typically 32bit (or sometimes 16bit) RGB. You can even get banding converting to 10bit RGB. It's highly dependent on the type of dithering for bit depth conversion
    Quote Quote  
  8. I agree with pdr, no need to gen an intermediate file, just edit the EXR sequence.
    Quote Quote