VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys I recently purchased some tdk life on record bd-r from eBay in a 10 pack spindle. Ive always used tdk life on record with no issues but not printable. These are printable and carry the life on record brand and can write 1 to 6x. I checked the relevant thread and it says tdk 1 to 6 x discs are HTL. But on closer inspection of the image ( I have not recieved these yet and returning them would be easy ) there is something that says imation Corp on the label of the cake box. Is this another company tdk has outsourced manufacturing to? I guess I can wait until they arrive and see if imgburn can see if they are htl or lth. Thanks guys.

[Attachment 41689 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Dannyboy1985 View Post
    there is something that says imation Corp on the label of the cake box. Is this another company tdk has outsourced manufacturing to?
    http://www.global.tdk.com/news_center/press/aah21400.htm
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah thanks ive just researched more myself and had no idea this happened all the way back in 2007. Thanks for the article but now the question is are imation bds lth?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Those are made in Taiwan, which means they are probably Ritek or CMC Magnetics made discs. I doubt they are LTH.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Those are made in Taiwan, which means they are probably Ritek or CMC Magnetics made discs. I doubt they are LTH.
    Thanks for that Kerry.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HTL discs are generally much darker on the side holding the data (not the label side) verging on black if not completely black. LTH discs are generally very light on the data side, with discs I currently own being a light golden color. Has to do with the difference between organic dyes which are used in LTH and inorganic dyes which are used in HTL. Every manufacturer tends to use their own proprietary dyes which might lend to some variance in the colors within the same format (HTL for example).

A good general rule is that if the label does not say LTH, then it's a HTL.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    HTL discs are generally much darker on the side holding the data (not the label side) verging on black if not completely black. LTH discs are generally very light on the data side, with discs I currently own being a light golden color. Has to do with the difference between organic dyes which are used in LTH and inorganic dyes which are used in HTL. Every manufacturer tends to use their own proprietary dyes which might lend to some variance in the colors within the same format (HTL for example).

A good general rule is that if the label does not say LTH, then it's a HTL.
    Thanks I appreciate that Karma
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Another way you can tell if it's LTH is when doing a scan and it only goes to 6x for all the discs in the pack.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote