VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an avi file and an srt for it. But the srt starts at 40 seconds in and the movie at 2 mins 40 seconds because there is an introduction in the movie. Is it easier to cut off the first two minuts of the movie- what program- or edit the srt. How can the srt be synced
    Quote Quote  
  2. In many players you can change the delay on-the-fly.

If you do want to edit avi or srt editing the srt is easier. Open the srt in Subtitle Edit and click "Synchronization">"Adjust all times[...]". Then for all lines set 2 minutes, click "Show later" and save the new srt.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since a .srt file is just text it can be, relatively, easy to edit.

You can read here about the format of the file

https://matroska.org/technical/specs/subtitles/srt.html

In your case you would add 2 minutes on both time elements.

You can use Notepad or another text editor - just resave the file with the same name and .srt.

But are you really sure about these timings. Very odd to have this. (Unless someone edited the movie AFTER the subs were created)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

You can use Notepad or another text editor - just resave the file with the same name and .srt.
    That will become rather tedious if you want to edit an srt with more than 2 lines.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Subtitle Workshop can shift all subtitles temporally. But don't be surprised if there are other sync issues after shifting. Different sources often are different cuts of the movie, different running times (frame rates), etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

That will become rather tedious if you want to edit an srt with more than 2 lines.
    Absolutely.

But then I have always used a sledge-hammer to crack a peanut

But I do not think a simple resync is going to solve the OP's problem. And neither would chopping off the first two minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If it is a text file, you should be able to open it in Excel, write a formula to add the needed time to achieve sync, and then save the file back out of Excel as a text file (or copy/paste into Notepad).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    In many players you can change the delay on-the-fly.

If you do want to edit avi or srt editing the srt is easier. Open the srt in Subtitle Edit and click "Synchronization">"Adjust all times[...]". Then for all lines set 2 minutes, click "Show later" and save the new srt.
    That worked pretty good thanks. Still some parts slightly out because the srt differs a little in wording to the movie in some places. He might say "i will go to the shop to get sweets" and the srt may have "i will get sweets" They are just examples not dialogue. It is as good as can be achieved with an old movie
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    If it is a text file, you should be able to open it in Excel, write a formula to add the needed time to achieve sync, and then save the file back out of Excel as a text file (or copy/paste into Notepad).
    for future reference what would the formula be?
    Quote Quote  
  10. He might say "i will go to the shop to get sweets" and the srt may have "i will get sweets"
    Which is quite normal.

Subtitling is restricted to a certain numbers of characters pr line.
    They are supposed to stay on the screen long enough for the viewer to actually read them

So you'll never get an exact representation of a dialouge.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    If it is a text file, you should be able to open it in Excel, write a formula to add the needed time to achieve sync, and then save the file back out of Excel as a text file (or copy/paste into Notepad).
    I'd have to see an example of the timecode. In general, if the timecode is in A3 and the offset that you wish to add is in A1, then the formula for the new timecode (in B3) would be:

=A3 + $A$1

The formula gets more complicated for timecodes that are in minutes, seconds, and frames, since Excel native function don't understand that timecode.

The web site Mr Excel has an amazingly large number of answers to questions like this.
    Quote Quote  
  12. SRT time codes are in hh:mm:ss.ms format.

Code:
    00:01:30,623 --> 00:01:32,090
    Family's too late!

00:01:37,530 --> 00:01:39,498
    - Flatline.
    - Tried how long?

00:01:40,200 --> 00:01:41,394
    55 minutes.
    Adjusting them with Excel is impractical when there are subtitle editors that do this easily.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    =$SomeMagicExcelFunction!
    Quote Quote