VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy a VSO converter software :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm new to capturing, and I'm doing some test records using my "Magewell Pro Capture HDMI Card (1-Channel)".
    The programs I'm using to record are OBS & Xsplit Broadcaster.
    My sources are usually fiction content from my cable STB or the BluRay player.
    My ultimate aim is to have content easily playable on my HTPC using MPC-HC/MadVR.

So when I pipe in HDMI video to OBS/XSplit for recording...
    My capture card properties has a section which provides "Input" details...one of which is the "HZ" being sent from my source.
    From my cable STB, I usually get something like "59.9? HZ".
    From my BluRay player, I usually get something like "23.9?" HZ.

In my OBS/XSplit settings, I must set an FPS recording value.
    This is where I'm confused.

For best recording results...am I supposed to match up the HZ input to the FPS recording output exactly?
    - 60 HZ input = 60 FPS recording output
    - 59 HZ input = 59 FPS recording output

Or can I use lower FPS with higher input HZ?
    - 59 HZ input = 29 FPS recording output
    - 60 HZ input = 30 FPS recording output

[EDIT: I have removed the paragraph that originally appeared here, so as to not prejudice answers.]

P.S. My HTPC graphics card has both 60 HZ & 59 HZ display options. I have currently have it set to 59 HZ. I'm not sure if this information is useful or not.
    Last edited by jaibubwan; 18th May 2017 at 18:54.
    Quote Quote  
  2. "HZ" means "cycles-per-second" and sometimes (speaking loosely, or perhaps pretentiously) "frames-per-second." They mean the same thing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hz

The hertz (symbol Hz) is the unit of frequency in the International System of Units (SI) and is defined as one cycle per second. It is named for Heinrich Rudolf Hertz, the first person to provide conclusive proof of the existence of electromagnetic waves.
    You may use exactly 1/2 the number if you want (59.94 ~= 60000/1001; 29.97 ~= 30000/1001); lightning will not strike you down. Although you should know it is a sin
    Quote Quote  
  3. First, note that 59 Hz usually means 59.94 Hz, the NTSC frame or field rate. And 29.97 fps interlaced video is often called 59.94i -- that's just a nomenclature difference (they're using the field rate, not the frame rate).

Normally you want to record at the same frame rate as the source. If you record a 59.94p source at 60 fps you will get 1 duplicate frame every 17 seconds or so. Conversely, if you record a 60p source at 59.94 fps you will be missing one frame every 17 seconds. If you record a true 59.94p source at 29.97 fps you will lose half the temporal resolution. Motion will be less fluid and the picture will flicker a bit.
    Quote Quote