VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi:

I have a project that I created in Adobe PP. It contains some still images and video clips. I exported the sequence as MP4 1920x1080 30 fps with a bitrate of 20 Mbps. It plays back beautifully on my computer and TV (connected to computer) with nice smooth video when I play the MP4 file.

I wanted to burn this video to a blu-ray so I opened Adobe Elements and dragged the MP4 video above to the timeline, created my title markers and menus and burned it to a 25 GB blu-ray. I am not happy with the looks of the blu-ray playback. The still images look great, but motion creates jagged lines enough so that the video is not nearly ask crisp as the MP4 source.

I don't know too much about video conversions and such, but from my searches it sounds like this is aliasing or something. Does anyone know why my burned blu-ray is not nearly as crisp as the source MP4 file? Any ideas on how to resolve this? The source MP4 is abotu 11 GB so I know there is plenty of room on the blu-ray and it is not downconverting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Going to have to post a small clip of the problem in action, or at least pictures of the problem and a description of the source material (camera used for this project). Might be a interlacing problem, or lack of deinterlacing on the decoder side but I'm guessing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Here are pictures of the problem. Two images showing essentially the same frame. The high quality picture is from the MP4 file that I created with Premiere Pro. The poor quality pictures is from the Blu-ray that I burned using Adobe Elements from the MP4. The source video came from a GoPro Hero3 @ 1920x1080 resolution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MP4.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	41648Click image for larger version

Name:	Blu-ray.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	41649
    Quote Quote  
  4. Blu-Ray has to be 1920x1080 30i interlaced or 1280x720, 60p progressive frames. Note that making 30fps (30i) interlaced footage from 30fps progressive could end up weird.

If original footage is 30p then make 1280x720 60p footage just duplicating frames. I have no idea how to set it up in Premiere so it would not try to make new frames using blend and similar method, the best thing here seems to just duplicating frames.

If original footage is 60p, then again, make 1280x720 60p Blu-Ray (btw no one will notice, there will be no one approaching you and saying, hey, this is not 1920x1080, but just 1280x720). If for some reason you insist on keeping resolution 1920x1080 then you have to make footage interlaced with that risk software not handling this well. But definitely give it 60p source to begin with, not 30p as you did. You might eliminate creating those "ghost" frames.

Why would you not make Blu-Ray right from your timeline, from those original clips?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the suggestions _Al_. I still must not be doing something correct. The individual video clips on my Premiere Pro timeline are a mix of 30 fps and 60 fps mostly at 1920x1080 resolution. I took you advice and rather than trying to burn the blu ray from the MP4, I made a new export from the original PP sequence using the "H.264 Blu-ray" format with the "HD 1080i 29.97" preset selected. I then burned this export to a Blu-ray and am still getting the same jagged edges. I am surprised that I am getting this kind of issue using PP's default Blu-ray export. I must still have something wrong. It the problem that I am using Adobe Elements to burn it? I would be happy to try a different burning software but I don't have anything else. Ideally I would like to be able to make a simple menu with chapter markers but even just having the video burned without titles would be OK if the quality was high. I attached a photo of my PP settings I used for the export.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PPsettings.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	41663
    Quote Quote  
  6. So direct timeline render did not help, so it is interlace problem, or rather making progressive footage as interlaced. You shoot interlace, you encode interlace. If you try to make interlace , that is the other story. You can always burn 60p as data, but sure no menu, chapter.

I talked about 1280x720 60p for Blu-Ray - because it is not interlaced . Your problem is making your footage interlaced.

Making your 60p footage as 30i would get rid of half information anyway, sure resolution is kept (but one field has 1920x540 anyway, it is just your TV or player that computes it back to 1920x1080, each frame , 60 frames per second), but anyway, what is true, real resolution of your video anyway, 1080 lines per frame? I'd think it is not.

720p keeps temporal resolution and does not make footage interlaced. Sure downscale looks at the first sight as drastic measure, but it is really not in our case (comparing to 1920x1080i). Not sure why folks are afraid to export 720p60 and put it on BD, it looks great.

Hopefully Premiere would just duplicate frames for those 30fps clips. If you can prohibit making some blending or such in settings, I'd do so.

Your sequence is set to 30p, not sure how Premiere works , if it calculates output from sequence properties or directly from clip properties, there might be problem also, you might do a quick test with sequence set to 60p (or 59.94p, whatever your clip fps is)
    Last edited by _Al_; 20th May 2017 at 00:31.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Some good suggestions from _Al_

Why are you using elements ? You should be using Encore for BD authoring. Might be some setting in Elements messing things up
    Quote Quote