VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone. So there's this short film that I've made, which is a no-budget student thing, and unfortunately I didn't record any sound on the set. Now here's the thing: there's a part in the film where we see a silent film with normal audio/perspective, then suddenly we cut to a room where a guy is sitting in front of the TV set and he's watching that film. So obviously this time we need the audio to be heard from a different perspective as if the audio source is coming from the TV. What's the easiest/fastest way to change the audio perspective?

Many thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. left/right pan, maybe reverb for room accoustics
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    left/right pan, maybe reverb for room accoustics
    I seriously have no idea what you're referring to I'm looking for a software to handle the perspective of my music/audio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Round_Brix View Post
    there's a part in the film where we see a silent film with normal audio/perspective, then suddenly we cut to a room where a guy is sitting in front of the TV set and he's watching that film. So obviously this time we need the audio to be heard......
    Not sure what the 'audio/perspective' of a silent film sounds like?... If it's a silent film, surely there's no audio?.....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also don't know what the OP means .
    This intro video seems to suggest it's something in the way it's recorded, or may be adjusted in post in an audio editor.
    https://www.lynda.com/Audio-Video-tutorials/Audio-perspective/380257/471924-4.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Round_Brix View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    left/right pan, maybe reverb for room accoustics
    I seriously have no idea what you're referring to
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panning_%28audio%29
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Look up "worldizing".

Alternatively, "impulse response convolution".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you all. Unfortunately my English is not good enough. Here's the thing: we're watching a film [full screen/normal] and then suddenly we cut to a room where a guy is sitting in a chair in front of the TV watching that same film that we were watching a second ago. So obviously the audio must be heard from a different perspective because that guy is watching the tv from a distance. I've seen it done with just a click or two in Premiere, but I'm looking for a simple software.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'd appreciate it if you look at this video:

http://fs2.filegir.com/filemux/1AQ.avi

1. We're watching a film [full screen/normal]
    2. Suddenly we cut to a room and that film is still playing on TV so obviously the audio must be heard from a different perspective/aspect/angle/distantce. How can I do that?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Round_Brix View Post
    I'd appreciate it if you look at this video:

http://fs2.filegir.com/filemux/1AQ.avi

1. We're watching a film [full screen/normal]
    2. Suddenly we cut to a room and that film is still playing on TV so obviously the audio must be heard from a different perspective/aspect/angle/distantce. How can I do that?
    Make mono, pan right, reverb, high frequency rolloff.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th May 2017 at 23:27.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Make mono, pan right, reverb, high frequency rolloff.
    Thanks jagabo, but the question is how ? There are many free audio mixers/editors online. What program do you suggest? I'm a complete newbie.
    Last edited by Round_Brix; 17th May 2017 at 00:33.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Audacity is a free audio editor which can probably do everything you want.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    It also helps to add a little room tone. Air conditioner, fan, refrigerator, traffic noise, etc. at a very low level will make it feel like we are in a different place.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Audacity is a free audio editor which can probably do everything you want.
    Thanks. I'll download the program. I hope it's not too confusing.

Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    It also helps to add a little room tone. Air conditioner, fan, refrigerator, traffic noise, etc. at a very low level will make it feel like we are in a different place.
    Thanks. You're completely right. The video I uploaded was just a 'mute' sample with only the movie sound. I haven't recorded the ambient sounds yet.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I tried working with Audacity but I wasn't able to the thing I wanted. Left/right pan just turnes the volume up/down
    Quote Quote  
  16. Anyone? All I wanna know is how to edit/mix diegetic sound in a film.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Some people spend their careers learning how to edit/mix diegetic sound in a film. You are not going to become a whiz in four days.

Are you working with a stereo file? Left/right doesn't mean anything in mono.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Round_Brix View Post
    Left/right pan just turnes the volume up/down
    You then need to use other effects to "fit' the sound to the environment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Round_Brix View Post
    Anyone? All I wanna know is how to edit/mix diegetic sound in a film.
    I gave you an (the?) answer. EXACTLY fits your request. Your choice if you want to take advantage of it or not.

You want it to sound like it is coming out of an old tv set? - MAKE it come out of an old tv set and record it! That's what worldizing is all about.

Impulse response convolution is the digital algorithmic equivalent. Less physical setup, more complex steps & calculations.

(I say this having pro experience in film & tv audio production & post, utilizing techniques such as these).

Scott
    Quote Quote