VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been researching the best way to capture VHS to computer and the best minds say to capture the video as interlaced and to not deinterlace the video. Over the years I have been capturing VHS using a Panasonic DV camera, it captures as interlaced but the color space is 4:1:0. I just recently bought an I-O Data USB capture device and it will capture as 4:2:2, but I can't find any software that will capture as interlaced. I have tried VirtualDub and OSB and both seem to only capture deinterlaced (OSB is for sure that way). Vegas 13 Pro capture program does not recognize he I-O data device as a proper device for capture.

My question is, what software and settings can I used to capture 720x480 interlaced video using the I-O Data? Is this even possible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Likely you didn't configure VirtualDub properly.

Under "Video" -> "Capture pin..." you should select 720x480 for NTSC sources and 720x576 for PAL sources. Some devices like old tuner cards need 704 instead of 720 but 720 is the most common.
    Also select the proper color space here. You want YUY2 or UYVY (both are 4:2:2).

That should give you an interlaced capture, unless the capture device itself does something funky or the source is simply not interlaced (two fields taken at the same point in time make up a progressive frame).
    Quote Quote  
  3. And be aware that programs may not recognize that an AVI file is interlaced because the basic AVI container doesn't support interlaced flagging. For example, MediaInfo will not recognize uncompressed YUY2 in AVI is interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just capture full frame res (720x480 @ 29.97fps or 720x576 @ 25 fps). Both fields will be present as recorded on tape (home VCR record full frame i.e. both fields on single track trace).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing at 720x480 or 720x576 doesn't always guarantee interlaced video -- some capture devices/drivers always deinterlace. But it's certainly the way to start.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for everyone's advice. As it turns out VDub was capturing interlaced video all along. I was using GSpot to determine whether a clip was interlaced or not and none of the field order indicators were set in GSpot, so I assumed the clip was progressive. I dragged a clip into Vegas and it showed the media as being interlaced. One thing, when I play back the clip in Vegas I still see a slight interlaced comb effect in some motion areas, as if the Vegas preview is not treating it as interlaced.
    Quote Quote