VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using a Sony Bravia as a monitor with my HP xw8400 Workstation. I'm watching live baseball games from America streaming on Yahoo. DVI out from the computer right into a DVI to HDMI converter, then a HDMI cable to the TV. Of course, I only get video from that so I'm using a mini-jack out of the computer and at the back of the TV, splitting the mini-jack cable into two phono jacks for the audio. The DVI/HDMI adapter to HDMI for video, and the mini jack to phono plugs for audio. I then find the correct AV channel on the TV and I'm in business.

I did this all last summer without any issues. I went to watch a game today using the same set up but now, I'm getting the video on one AV channel and the audio on a different AV channel. The video and audio are both coming in fine, just on different AV channels on the TV. All cables connected the same exact way that has worked many times in the past.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Are you sure you've got the audio hooked up correctly? There are a lot of audio inputs on the back of Bravias.
    Which model?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DRM32 View Post
    I'm using a Sony Bravia as a monitor with my HP xw8400 Workstation. I'm watching live baseball games from America streaming on Yahoo. DVI out from the computer right into a DVI to HDMI converter, then a HDMI cable to the TV. Of course, I only get video from that so I'm using a mini-jack out of the computer and at the back of the TV, splitting the mini-jack cable into two phono jacks for the audio. The DVI/HDMI adapter to HDMI for video, and the mini jack to phono plugs for audio. I then find the correct AV channel on the TV and I'm in business.

I did this all last summer without any issues. I went to watch a game today using the same set up but now, I'm getting the video on one AV channel and the audio on a different AV channel. The video and audio are both coming in fine, just on different AV channels on the TV. All cables connected the same exact way that has worked many times in the past.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I don't have any Sony TVs, but for the LG TV I own, which has 3 HDMI ports total, there is a mini-jack that supplies audio for just one of them, and that particular HDMI port is physically labeled "HDMI/DVI IN". With some TVs it is also necessary to choose a label for the HDMI port, such as "PC" or "Computer", in the list of input sources provided by the TV's menus, to configure the port to work in PC mode.

[Edit] None of the normal analog stereo audio inputs on the TV can be used with an HDMI connection. Each set of analog stereo audio inputs is linked to a particular analog video input.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th May 2017 at 02:15. Reason: clarity
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HI guys, thanks for replying. The TV is a Bravia KDL 32V2500. 'JVRaines', you're right, there are a lot of outputs on the back of the TV but I'm using the two phono inputs in the "HDMI" area on the back, which are right next to the HDMI input jack. This area only has an HDMI input and two phono jack ins, nothing else. It's also - as well as I can remember - where I plugged the cable in last year when everything was working fine. But, just to be sure, I've tried all the other jacks and nothing works.

And 'usually_quiet', previously, when all was working fine, I would plug in the two cables - HDMI and phono jacks, for video and audio - and then go through the AV channels to find the channel that 'worked'. Again, the problem that I'm having now is video on one AV channel and audio on another.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the KDL-32V2500's manual from Sony's UK website and looked at the connection diagrams. The connection diagram shows two HDMI ports in the rear of the TV near the VGA port. Is the PC is connected to the topmost HDMI port (HDMI IN 4, in the manual), which is to the right of the two analog audio ports? The lower HDMI port (HDMI IN 5, in the manual), which is also in the same area won't work with the analog audio connections.

The section in manual on selecting the A/V inputs seems a little vague to me, but I think this set of connections used for DVI is called AV4.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th May 2017 at 18:13. Reason: typo
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet, of course. I'm an idiot. I had the HDMI cable from my cable box plugged in to 4 - next to the audio ports - so was plugging the PC HDMI cable in to 5. Of course it wouldn't work. I didn't even think about moving the cable box cable, it was just 'there'. Thanks so much for pointing out the painfully obvious. I appreciate your help.
    Quote Quote