VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hi friends,

I updated VLC 2.2.4 to version 2.2.5.1 because in the changelog it clearly stated:

Changes between 2.2.4 and 2.2.5:
    Video output:
    * Fix green line on Windows with AMD drivers

Since I have an AMD Radeon HD 7350, I thought it was a good idea. Not only, the green line at the bottom of the video still appears, but now it also restarts my computer after some minutes.

I have no real proof that VLC is to blame, but since I updated yesterday and this is the first video I'm watching after that, and on top of that there were modifications in the software at AMD support level, I feel it is a good guess. I'm using Windows 7 x64.

Has someone else experienced this?

Thanks.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's possible VLC triggers some bug in the driver or OS. If it happens again try upgrading/downgrading your GPU driver and turning off hardware related features of VLC.

Also "Disable Restart on System Failure" (->Google). If you see a BSOD you might get a hint on the reason. These might also be hidden in the System Log in the Event Viewer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    It's possible VLC triggers some bug in the driver or OS. If it happens again try upgrading/downgrading your GPU driver and turning off hardware related features of VLC.

Also "Disable Restart on System Failure" (->Google). If you see a BSOD you might get a hint on the reason. These might also be hidden in the System Log in the Event Viewer.
    Thank you for your answer.

It did happen again in another video. I already searched Event Viewer, but found nothing other than the info about the system beeing restarted (no reason why it did).

I decided to downgrade VLC to 2.2.4 instaed of messing with the video drivers. So far, so good, but I need more time to be sure that it did the trick. If it did, I will wait for a version of VLC that really fixes this problem.

But, as you say, the problem may not be in VLC, but in the video drivers or even in the OS instead. If this is the case, I will deal with it later following your advices.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  4. VLC is a user space application. If your PC crashes it has to be a problem in the OS/drivers/hardware. Or it is a bug in VLC triggering a second bug a OS/drivers/hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  5. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    VLC is a user space application. If your PC crashes it has to be a problem in the OS/drivers/hardware. Or it is a bug in VLC triggering a second bug a OS/drivers/hardware.
    I get it. Maybe version 2.2.5.1 triggers a bug in the drivers or OS that version 2.2.4 did not. If that's the case, using 2.2.4 is good enough for me, at least, for the time beeing.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi ,

About the lastest versions of VLC :
    https://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/

Cheers .
    JE SUIS CHARLIE !!!
    Quote Quote