I am currently cleaning up some super-8 videos. A lot of dust and scratches could be removed with several avisynth scripts using RemoveGrain, Removedirt and so on.
However one of the videos contains a lot of static dirt and it looks like all the tools have serious problem with these static spots.
I also tried the neatvideo demo but it is blurring too much and it isnŽt able to handle this noise either.
Some frames from the video:
Another approach would be photoshop, the spot healing doesnŽt work unless IŽd process each frame manually. Apart from the insane amount of work the spot healing tool
is just copying surrounded areas and I have the feeling that could look weird in a video.
So I thought of using an action by manipulating the luminance of the spots, but as you can see this isnŽt working too well either.
I wonder if there is program/plugin that is able to handle this type of dust better.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
A video is worth a thousand pictures (or words). Please upload an untouched video sample - 10 seconds or so - that shows the problem.
Okay, Here we go...
I generated an image of the spots by averaging many frames together, touched it up a bit by hand, then:
LSmashVideoSource("C:\Users\John\Downloads\usedom_10s.mp4") spots = ImageSource("C:\Users\John\Downloads\usedom_spots.png", start=0, end=framecount, fps=framerate).Invert().ConvertToYV12() spots = spots.ColorYUV(off_y=-95) #return(spots.Histogram()) Overlay(last, spots, mode="add") ColorYUV(off_y=-12) BilinearResize(width/2, height/2) RemoveDirtMC(50)
[Attachment 41556 - Click to enlarge]
Wow, that result looks amazing! IŽll check it out on the whole video. Thanks jagabo!
To average frames I used several Merge() command in a row:
Merge(SelectEven(), SelectOdd()) # average of 2 frames Merge(SelectEven(), SelectOdd()) # average of 4 frames Merge(SelectEven(), SelectOdd()) # average of 8 frames Merge(SelectEven(), SelectOdd()) # average of 16 frames Merge(SelectEven(), SelectOdd()) # average of 32 frames etc.
Thanks, IŽll give that a try if my attempt with ImageJ and 2000 frames fails. Up to now it looks good but takes a while of course.