VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi
    i'm wondering if several hours of rendering for example (premiere or vegas rendering ) could damage an intel cpu like 4790K not overclocked with the bundle intel fan?

on a cpu like this the temp is around 70-80°

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The bundled fan has to be adequate, otherwise Intel would get lots of warranty claims for overheated processors. As long as the fins and fan blades are clean, there should be no problem.

I admit that like you, I don't feel comfortable with such high temperatures and I added an Arctic Freezer to my editing PC. I also have a high spec. laptop, bought to be capable of video editing if necessary and it runs up to about 70-75C. Maybe I'll stick it in a bucket of ice for rendering!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    70-80 degree is very high, and it will possibly shorten the lifespan of your cpu.
    If you frequently do that kind of rendering i strongly recommend a after market cooler, and make sure the temperature stays while rendering below 60 degree's
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's not just the CPU heatsink & fan to consider, it's also the airflow through the case. You need to make sure that there's a reasonable air gap around the case, that the inlet & exhaust grills aren't clogged and that any inlet or exhaust fans are working properly. There may also be settings in your BIOS to force your CPU fan to spin faster at any given CPU temp at the expense of being a little noisier.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There is an application called BES that can throttle applications (force them into periodic micro-sleep states) which I depended on heavily back when I was encoding on a laptop. BES is getting old now ("for Windows 7/XP/2000"), but it still seems to work.

It is possible to manually underclock in Advanced power settings (have never done it myself)
    https://postimg.org/image/6xm28ecrr/

Yes, overheating can cause damage for some people with marginal hardware:
    http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/15/0322207 (comment)

Having worked at nVidia, there is a reason those extra TPCs were disabled and its not because of a cripple ware model but because of yield. We cannot produce chips that are perfect all the time. So we settle for chips that are perfect a small percentage of the time, mostly perfect an ok percentage of the time, and half working a good percentage of the time. We then make 3 or 4 different series (GS/GT/GTX/GTS/Ultra) with different TPCs in each series, disable the TPCs in each chip that doesn't work or fails to pass QA and then ship them. If you unlock them, you are frying your working card because some of the faults could be things like 'Oops, there was a short in the TPC because the transistors cooked too close to each other' or 'Oops, the clock passes too close to the +12V in this module -- if it hits 50 Celcius, it could turn into a short'. This model helps products from being prohibitively expensive for a fabless company because we are billed on 'silicon wafers used' on not on 'number of fault free chips produced'.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DeJay View Post
    The bundled fan has to be adequate, otherwise Intel would get lots of warranty claims for overheated processors. As long as the fins and fan blades are clean, there should be no problem.

I admit that like you, I don't feel comfortable with such high temperatures and I added an Arctic Freezer to my editing PC. I also have a high spec. laptop, bought to be capable of video editing if necessary and it runs up to about 70-75C. Maybe I'll stick it in a bucket of ice for rendering!
    hi
    thanks for the anwer
    may i ask you which model of Arctic freezer do you added?
    i 'm reading the arctic Freezer 13 "Cooling Performance on Intel Core i7-4770 (overclocked) " and they claim to lower from 64.8 to 46.3

is it real ? i mean 18,5° are a lot
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    70-80 degree is very high, and it will possibly shorten the lifespan of your cpu.
    If you frequently do that kind of rendering i strongly recommend a after market cooler, and make sure the temperature stays while rendering below 60 degree's
    hi
    what do you use to cool your cpu?
    thanks

Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    It's not just the CPU heatsink & fan to consider, it's also the airflow through the case. You need to make sure that there's a reasonable air gap around the case, that the inlet & exhaust grills aren't clogged and that any inlet or exhaust fans are working properly. There may also be settings in your BIOS to force your CPU fan to spin faster at any given CPU temp at the expense of being a little noisier.
    hi
    yes that's true about the case and the bios

Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
    There is an application called BES that can throttle applications (force them into periodic micro-sleep states) which I depended on heavily back when I was encoding on a laptop. BES is getting old now ("for Windows 7/XP/2000"), but it still seems to work.
    hi nice program, do you run w10 and it works ,isn't it?
    thanks a lot ,i'm downloading
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rama View Post

thanks
    It is the A30, fitted four years ago, it has been completely reliable. It was the biggest one I could get to fit my AMD Phenom II x6 1100D processor, that would fit inside the case.

Yes, it is real, it has lowered the full load temperature (all 6 cores working at 95 - 100% capacity) from around 70C to around 50C. I keep the fan and fins clean and always clean the case and vents at the same time, along with the PSU fan which also ventilates the case.
    Last edited by DeJay; 8th May 2017 at 11:07.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DeJay View Post
    Originally Posted by rama View Post

thanks
    It is the A30, fitted four years ago, it has been completely reliable. It was the biggest one I could get to fit my AMD Phenom II x6 1100D processor, that would fit inside the case

Yes, it is real, it has lowered the full load temperature (all 6 cores working at 95 - 100% capacity) from around 70C to around 50C. I keep the fan and fins clean and always clean the case and vents at the same time, along with the PSU fan which also ventilates the case.
    hi
    really appreciate your help
    about the A30 you had to add a support to the rear of the motherboard to keep the the fan weight ,right?

i guess Freezer 13 should be the right for my cpu ,because there are many fan coolers ,i don't know which is the most suitable to my cpu

again thanks a lot

ps i have watched many tutorial videos about editing and users own a imac or macbook pro , don't know how they can cool them
    Quote Quote  
  10. 70-80°C is safe. If you run CoreTemp it should show your CPU's "Tj. Max" value which should be around 100°C. At that temperature the CPU will throttle down, not fail. 70-80°C is far below that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i use a (now old) ZALMAN CNPS9700. witch is a large cooler.
    with all four cores fully stressed (i5 3570) temps are just below 65 degree's.

I agree that the air flow through your computer case has a fair amount of influence on the temps
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    80 degree may be safe but the life span will definitely shorten
    Quote Quote  
  13. Sneaker's posts make sense and are correct. Jan5678 is being WAY too cautious. Yes, higher temperatures will somewhat diminish the life of any electronic component, including the main CPU. However, the chip is designed to run at those temps and, in fact, must run at those temperatures when rendering. If you throttle it down to the point where the processor temp is barely above room temperature, your render will take 10x longer (the middle of next week). The only thing that can significantly reduce the chip temp is liquid cooling, and that is a major deal that is usually done when you first build your computer.

I routinely see 90 degree C temps on my 8-year-old Intel i-7 video editing computer. I've done hundreds of 24-hour renders during that time. I've never once had a problem. Having said that, while I routinely clean all the fans in my computer, I stupidly forgot to clean the fan on my video card. It too has a chip that gets really hot. It burned out when the fan slowed WAY down. When I took it out and realized what had happened, I blew out the fan and the associated cooling fins. It was packed solid.

So, don't worry about it and get on with your work, but do keep ALL the fans in your computer really clean.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just to mention, high CPU temperatures can also shorten the life of the thermal compound and
    that can cause even higher temperatures.

If you install a new cooler, use a good thermal compound. I wouldn't trust many that come pre-applied to the cooler.

Most MB/CPUs can throttle down extremely high temperatures, but then the CPU runs slower.

I use a Corsair H-50 liquid cooler on my AMD 8 core 125W CPU. Much quieter than most air coolers.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I routinely see 90 degree C temps on my 8-year-old Intel i-7 video editing computer. I've done hundreds of 24-hour renders during that time. I've never once had a problem. Having said that, while I routinely clean all the fans in my computer, I stupidly forgot to clean the fan on my video card. It too has a chip that gets really hot. It burned out when the fan slowed WAY down. When I took it out and realized what had happened, I blew out the fan and the associated cooling fins. It was packed solid.

So, don't worry about it and get on with your work, but do keep ALL the fans in your computer really clean.
    hi johnmeyer
    but i have seen in all the computer stores the new intel cpu , are all without the bundle fan
    i guess because it's not appropriate to push cpu @100%
    don't know what can happen during a video game seeing i don't play
    thanks !

Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    If you install a new cooler, use a good thermal compound. I wouldn't trust many that come pre-applied to the cooler.
    hi
    yes i guess that makes a difference a good thermal compund ,don't know which alchool should i use ,seeing i can not find hydropic alcohol

about fan or liquid cooler it was always my doubt , it's mostly space/room related , liquid is more easy to mount on a good case , fan cooler need room too , but where there is the ram slots , video card and so on

thanks
    Last edited by rama; 8th May 2017 at 13:36.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use 99% isopropyl alcohol from any drugstore to remove old thermal compound.
    Also handy are drugstore makeup removal pads lightly saturated with alcohol for thermal compound removal.
    Much better than paper towels or Q-tips.

My PC with the H-50 runs about 47C with 100% CPU on all cores.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    80 degree may be safe but the life span will definitely shorten
    Evidence?
    Quote Quote