VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I posted another thread earlier about getting the "volume is dirty" issue. That resulted from having to power down the system with the power button hold procedure. And that resulted from my system not properly waking up from sleep all of a sudden. Fixed the dirty issue. Now trying to fix the sleep issue. Like others, when I hit a key, the system appears to come out of sleep, except for the monitor, the "black screen of death." I did some googling and found this command powercfg -energy which generates a report. My report has 14 errors, 12 warnings and 24 informational. I don't know what I'm looking at in this report or if it tells me why the monitor isn't coming on. See attached file (rename to .html as .html file type aren't allowed for upload, I added a .txt)

The other thing that's been annoying me is that while back I had issues with the computer staying asleep and I found the culprit for that in the advanced power settings, "allow wake timers" was set to enable. I change to disable and the computer stayed asleep. HOWEVER, the next time I put it to sleep, it didn't stay asleep. So I check that setting again, and it went back to enable all by itself. So I've just been changing it to disable right before I put it to sleep every time and it's been working fine for a few months. But now this wake black screen issue is the problem.

I was hoping someone that knows more than me can look at this energy report and tell me if they can see what's causing my problems?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Check your BIOS for POWER SAVING FEATURES
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even if I haven't changed any settings in the BIOS since the sleep/wake was working correctly?
    Quote Quote  
  4. First, YES, check the friggin BIOS. Takes one key press and a few seconds, what possible objection could you have to looking for the cause of the problem?

Next, read the report, it is AMAZING the number of times google chrome is mentioned in there. ALSO, power management for PCI-Express is disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware, this is in plain english, your video card, which connects to the monitor, is almost certainly on pci-express. Next, also in the report, and also in plain english, is that the monitor is set to turn OFF after 10 minutes.

Pay special attention to monitor power settings in Windows as this is your main problem at the moment. Also, the monitor itself likely has a power-save feature independent of windows, this should be checked in the menu on the monitor itself.

This is a common problem. Sometimes, this issue is that it can take considerable time for the monitor to wake from sleep mode, sometimes it is a separate feature on the monitor itself, usually resolved by cycling the power switch on the monitor itself, sometimes a particular video card combined with particular mobo just will not work reliably with this mode. Sometimes a driver update will fix this, sometimes a driver update will CAUSE this, sometimes there is no fix other than another card, which may or may not work correctly with your mobo.

EDIT - describe state of monitor power indicator light, including during normal operation and during sleep mode, plus any changes when attempting to wake system, and also describing condition during system shutdown while not accessing monitor power switch in any way.

Make sure you try BOTH mouse action and keyboard key press to attempt to wake up system, and wait a minute or two before utilizing the master reset switch. Also, AGAIN mentioned in the report and AGAIN in plain english are Multiple mentions of USB devices not responding properly to power management, worthwhile for testing to eliminate as many of these as possible. Not likely to be part of the problem, but certainly possible and takes seconds to eliminate. Less time than looking in the BIOS. It is NECESSARY to eliminate as many possible causes to the problem as possible in order to narrow down the large number of possibilities. Another thing to do would be to make sure chrome is not running when sleep mode is entered.
    Last edited by Nelson37; 8th May 2017 at 11:18.
    Quote Quote