VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello!

how can I record my screen activity?

I used a horrible program called flashbackrecorder or something and it had some limitations and stored the file in a proprietary format which was a nightmare to work with.

Is there a good reliable alternative without limitations?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many such programs use a proprietory format as the initial capture but usually have a built-in convertor for the final version.

Look here:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/desktop-screen-capture

Several frees one which you can try out to see which suits you best.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, I got camstudio, but problems started as soon as I installed it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	delete.png
Views:	81
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	41525

is there any solution to this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just downloaded/ran the program.

Do not get that error.

Have you still got that old program in your system ? Maybe that proprietory codec has taken over. Un-install that program and possibly un-install/re-install camstudio
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've found Debut Screen recorder pretty good. Lots of options, and you can use the codec of your choice. I'm not sure, but I think the current 'free' version may have a trial time limit?..

I have been using the earlier version 1.94 for about 18 months, and apart from a 'nag' screen checking that I'm not using it commercially, it still runs OK.

You can find the current version here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/Debut-Video-Capture-Software

Or the earlier version 1.94 here: http://filehippo.com/download_debut_video_capture/57135/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

Do not get that error.

Have you still got that old program in your system ? Maybe that proprietory codec has taken over. Un-install that program and possibly un-install/re-install camstudio
    I did what you say without luck.
    However, I went to Video Options and changed the codec.
    Now it works but it flashes strange colours in the window while recording, which makes the window unusable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    I've found Debut Screen recorder pretty good. Lots of options, and you can use the codec of your choice. I'm not sure, but I think the current 'free' version may have a trial time limit?..

I have been using the earlier version 1.94 for about 18 months, and apart from a 'nag' screen checking that I'm not using it commercially, it still runs OK.

You can find the current version here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/Debut-Video-Capture-Software

Or the earlier version 1.94 here: http://filehippo.com/download_debut_video_capture/57135/
    Are you sure I should try it with only 5/10 rating?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ecos View Post
    Are you sure I should try it with only 5/10 rating?
    Up to you? --I can only pass on that I found it OK. It's free... so you can't really get a better deal than that.....

(BTW the 5/10 rating seems to be because there are no reviews... So - a 50% 'neutral' score in the absence of any data, I'm guessing? )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ecos View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

Do not get that error.

I did what you say without luck.
    However, I went to Video Options and changed the codec.
    Now it works but it flashes strange colours in the window while recording, which makes the window unusable.
    It may help if you described what you are trying to capture ie just the desktop or some video etc.

Your profile says WinXP. Is this correct ? I wonder if you are experiencing video overlay issues.

But do try other programs. Nothing to lose since they are free. But if you have similar problems with these then you really must look closely at your system.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The free Debut software (link to software)
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/61125/debutsetupfree.zip
    is extremely easy to use, you can record just the part of the window you want.
    The video/audio quality is good, although video not as good as a proper download of the video.
    I like it especially because I can install/use it on the new public library computers. My xp computer with limited power would not be able to play and simultaneously record the video with good quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, I installed Debut v4 and OBS, are we sure they have no stupid limitations in time recording, exporting, watermarks, etc?
    I am going to record something very important and need to be sure!

Otherwise, please tell me which version/software to install exactly?
    I got above 3 links for Debut and I don't know which to use!
    thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hello!

I used a horrible program called flashbackrecorder or something and it had some limitations and stored the file in a proprietary format which was a nightmare to work with.

thanks!
    Very easy or Too easy??

Get OCAM Portable. Its record anything (desktop, games, all) and freeware nonag screen.

Link: Ocam Portable

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    hello!

thanks!
    Very easy or Too easy??

Get OCAM Portable. Its record anything (desktop, games, all) and freeware nonag screen.

Link: Ocam Portable

Claudio

thanks Claudio! it seems so nice!
    can I download it from here? http://ohsoft.net/eng/ocam/download.php?cate=1002
    will it have any limitations?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by ecos View Post
    Guys, I installed Debut v4 and OBS, are we sure they have no stupid limitations in time recording, exporting, watermarks, etc?
    I am going to record something very important and need to be sure!

Otherwise, please tell me which version/software to install exactly?
    I got above 3 links for Debut and I don't know which to use!
    thanks!
    OBS is open source - so it's unlikely to have any limitations....I've no idea whether it's any good or not- I haven't tried it

Re: Debut version -- I can only advise as I did in post #5 of this thread.... V.1.94 works for me.

You say you're recording something important.. is there any way you can get a copy of the original video?....

Even though you can get quite good results from screen capture software, you are always likely to drop some frames - even with a powerful PC.

So, if you can get what you need without using screen capture, it'll probably be better quality...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AnnaSiever View Post
    VideoGrabber
    I use this free online tool to record videos.
    I think it's convenient to use a online version and I don't have to worry about malware.
    And you have to install a 'launcher' before you can use the online facility. Still sure about that malware comment ?
    Quote Quote