VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello the friends I'm looking for cropped this video recorded in the tv without deformation the problem and the letterbox format and pillarbox the channel has cropped the video .thanks
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by JAX75; 7th May 2017 at 11:57.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    The movie's aspect ratio is 1.88:1, not 16x9. The image is wider than 16:9, so it will always be letterboxed even if you crop and enlarge it. The image is too wide to completely fill a 1920x1080 window. If widened to 1920 pixels wide, the image height will be 1016, not 1080. So the final image would display as slightly letterboxed 1920x1016, not 1920x1080.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Display 1920x1016 in 1920x1080 window.png
Views:	141
Size:	686.6 KB
ID:	41532  

- My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It’s hard to tell without circles or squares in the picture, but my gut feeling says the source with the black borden looks a bit stretched, and cropping + resizing to 16:9 would fix that to a more natural look.

Converted file (103.7 MB)
    Last edited by Case; 7th May 2017 at 19:27.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I agree with Case, it looks more natural cropped and resized to 16:9. But we really need a shot with something of known aspect ratio to be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Since the French and Belgians usually don't make movies at 16:9, and I can't remember seeing a Euro film ever produced at the computed 1.886:1, it's likely 1.85:1, a more common Euro cinema format. There's video of some auto wheels and tire at the end of the clip and a shot mof a TV with a round control, light on it. Try those at 16:9.

The movie is 24fps PAL progressive speeded up to 25 fps and encoded ass interlaced TFF.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. The wheels on the car aren't perpendicular to the camera axis so they can't easily be used to determine the aspect ratio. And the glowing light on TV is too small and diffuse -- a single pixel error in the width or height results in a ~3 percent AR error. That said, cropping the borders and resizing what's left to 16:9 gets the light nearly circular.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hello thank you for your help and sorry for my english, i understand why the channel has crop that way.
    Quote Quote