VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello Everyone,

I have an issue using virtualdub, when I import a BD remuxed to convert it no VD, no problems with the aspect ratio of the import and the exported video.

The issue is with the DVD remuxed, in the imported and exported preview the aspect ratio of the movie is always wrong. I don't understand why this happens.
    I tried in Sony Vegas, no problem with the BDremux but i have the same problem with remuxed DVD's.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DVDs are anamorphic, Blu-rays usually aren't.

On already encoded AVI files you may be able to set the DAR using MPEG4Modifier.

For new projects you may be able to set it in the encoder settings from within VirtualDub. Or use VirtualDub's "resize" video filter to resize to square pixels.

As you see these kind of things can depend on the codec and container so you need to provide more information on what you are using if you want more specific info.
    Quote Quote  
  3. VirtualDub doesn't keep track of aspect ratios, only frame size. It's you're responsibility to keep track of the aspect ratio, either via resizing or by specifying the aspect ratio on the video compression codec.

For example, NTSC DVD uses a frame size of 720x480 for both 4:3 and 16:9 material. VirtualDub just sees a 720x480 frame (3:2 aspect ratio) and has no idea whether it should be displayed as 4:3 or 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Generally, I encode in x264 Mkv's; from my BR and from my DVD to use them as backups of my collection.
    Can you please explain me how I "set" virtualdub correctly to avoid this problem with DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you using x264vfw or x264.exe via "external encoders"?

In x264vfw settings you can set "SAR width" and "SAR height" according to the following table:

For x264.exe set --sar x:y accordingly.

Then final encode will be anamorphic like DVD (player should resize on playback).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Are you using x264vfw or x264.exe via "external encoders"?

In x264vfw settings you can set "SAR width" and "SAR height" according to the following table:

Then final encode will be anamorphic like DVD (player should resize on playback).
    I use x264vfw.
    I will give it a try.

One question, this "SAR width" and "SAR height" as nothing to do with resolution and resize on the filters, it's correct?
    Quote Quote  
  7. They are not connected. Basically, you have two mutually exclusive choices:
    1.) Encode anamorphic by setting SAR in x264. Then you must not resize using the VirtualDub filters (just cropping is ok).
    2.) Resize to square pixels using the resize filter. Then you must set x264 SAR to 1:1 (default).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    How setting this paramater has an influence on the correct preview?
    because if i not correct the AR on the beginning, how the crop tool will be correct?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    They are not connected. Basically, you have two mutually exclusive choices:
    1.) Encode anamorphic by setting SAR in x264. Then you must not resize using the VirtualDub filters (just cropping is ok).
    2.) Resize to square pixels using the resize filter. Then you must set x264 SAR to 1:1 (default).
    If I use the first option, on can the crop be correct if the preview, as posted on image, isn't displayed with the correct AR?
    Quote Quote  
  10. x264 SAR setting will not change preview AR, only final encode. Just crop like you usually would. (In "resize" filter choose "Aspect ratio" "Same as source" and "Framing options" "Letterbox/crop to size". Ignore the wrong AR, just crop away the black bars.)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by david.dgc View Post
    Are you using x264vfw or x264.exe via "external encoders"?

I use x264vfw.
    I will give it a try.

One question, this "SAR width" and "SAR height" as nothing to do with resolution and resize on the filters, it's correct?
    I just tried the 2 AR 16/11 and 40/33 and the output generated it's still incorrect...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    x264 SAR setting will not change preview AR, only final encode. Just crop like you usually would. (In "resize" filter choose "Aspect ratio" "Same as source" and "Framing options" "Letterbox/crop to size". Ignore the wrong AR, just crop away the black bars.)
    Sorry, but i cannot find those options. Can you please show me where they are?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    x264 SAR setting will not change preview AR, only final encode. Just crop like you usually would. (In "resize" filter choose "Aspect ratio" "Same as source" and "Framing options" "Letterbox/crop to size". Ignore the wrong AR, just crop away the black bars.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Sem TÃ*tulo.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	41528

It's this option?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by david.dgc View Post
    It's this option?
    No.

Video->Filters->Add->resize

I just tried the 2 AR 16/11 and 40/33 and the output generated it's still incorrect...
    How are you exporting the file from VirtualDub? Post MediaInfo text log (View->Text) of output file.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    It's this option?
    No.

Video->Filters->Add->resize

How are you exporting the file from VirtualDub? Post MediaInfo text log (View->Text) of output file.
    My resize filter doesn't have the "aspect ratio" option...

General
    Unique ID : 272722301225294398194675067398931481509 (0xCD2C6796B25A59ADFC1C7E0E054A03A5)
    Complete name : C:\Users\David GC\Desktop\dfsdfs.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 1
    File size : 349 MiB
    Duration : 6 min 41 s
    Overall bit rate : 7 294 kb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2017-05-07 18:40:06
    Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)
    Writing library : libebml-0.7.5 & libmatroska-0.7.7
    ErrorDetectionType : Per level 1

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Baseline@L3
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Codec ID : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / H264
    Bit rate : 5 613 kb/s
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 5:4
    Original display aspect rat : 3:2
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.541
    Stream size : 269 MiB (77%)
    Writing library : x264 core 148 r2694bm 3b70645
    Encoding settings : cabac=0 / ref=1 / deblock=0:-1:-1 / analyse=0:0 / me=dia / subme=0 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=0
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : PCM
    Codec ID : A_MS/ACM / 1
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 73.5 MiB (21%)
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sem TÃ*tulo.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	41529
    Quote Quote  
  16. You are using the old "VirtualDubMod". Delete it and never use it again.

Either use the vanilla VD or try shekh's VirtualDubFilterMod. For video compression choose "x264 8 bit ... ", not "x264vfw ...". Forget what I said about "resize" filter, shekh's mod comes with a dedicated "crop" filter.

(there's a small problem with AR I will ask shekh about and report back)

/edit:
    Found some bigger problems with the mkv output. Would not use VirtualDubMod nor VirtualDub FilterMod right now for direct mkv output. Hope shekh will fix the issues soon. Until then only "External Encoders" feature is recommended for mkv but at least that can be used with vanilla VirtualDub. Or use x264vfw's "File" "Output mode" and and later remux that using mkvtoolnix.

/edit2: shekh has now fixed the issues I found with revision 39460.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfiltermod/files/latest/download
    Last edited by sneaker; 14th May 2017 at 15:51. Reason: fixed vdub version released
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    You are using the old "VirtualDubMod". Delete it and never use it again.

Either use the vanilla VD or try shekh's VirtualDubFilterMod. For video compression choose "x264 8 bit ... ", not "x264vfw ...". Forget what I said about "resize" filter, shekh's mod comes with a dedicated "crop" filter.

(there's a small problem with AR I will ask shekh about and report back)

/edit:
    Found some bigger problems with the mkv output. Would not use VirtualDubMod nor VirtualDub FilterMod right now for direct mkv output. Hope shekh will fix the issues soon. Until then only "External Encoders" feature is recommended for mkv but at least that can be used with vanilla VirtualDub. Or use x264vfw's "File" "Output mode" and and later remux that using mkvtoolnix.
    I just tried it, it corrected the AR automatically!
    thank you
    Quote Quote