VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recently, I tried to burn a 40gb .iso file using the disk utility on my Mac Pro 1,1. This has worked for other Blu-ray .isos I have had, but did not for this. There is nothing wrong with the file itself. Can disk utility not handle BD50 discs?

With that said, I really should get some proper Blu-ray software and it seems that either Leawo Blu-ray creator or DVD Fab are the way to go. Any recommendations as to which one is better? I searched the forums and didn't really find anything conclusive.

I don't rip many Blu-rays, but that would be an option I'd like to have (Sounds like I'd also have to get that encryption remover for DVD Fab if so). Mostly I want something that can burn downloaded Blu-ray files (usually concerts), burn .iso to blu-ray, create .iso files from other files such as .mkv, etc. (I realize ts mixer does that as well, though I have that on my macbook pro. The older version I have on my mac pro (Where my internal Blu-ray burner resides) does not have that option. I generally use Toast 11.04 to burn BDMV folders to disc and have had good success with that. I am also looking at 1:1 conversion. I am not interested in compressing them down to play on a phone or whatever.

Are either of the above softwares good for what I am looking for? Is there something better?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don’t know about Disk Utility and BD-DL, but Toast v11 should be sensitive to burning dual layer BD media. It should be able to accept .iso image files from the Copy window/Image File. [Alternatively, you could ‘mount’ the disc image file and burn the content that is inside (BDMV folders).]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case View Post
    I don’t know about Disk Utility and BD-DL, but Toast v11 should be sensitive to burning dual layer BD media. It should be able to accept .iso image files from the Copy window/Image File. [Alternatively, you could ‘mount’ the disc image file and burn the content that is inside (BDMV folders).]
    That does seem doable. I was able to open the .iso image in Toast (I use that version of Toast as everything after that has a significantly slower speed) and, as you said, it can handle BD-DL. I will try to burn it that way.

As for the software, it seems from what I am finding that the Leawo Blu-ray products might be better for my needs than DVD Fab. Waiting to see what people recommend here before spending any $$$ though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Evidently my burner can handle BD-R and BD-RE but NOT BD-R DL per the system profiler. I suppose I should have looked at that first…

That said, I am still looking for Mac Blu-ray software recommendations
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jabbo5150 View Post
    I really should get some proper Blu-ray software and it seems that either Leawo Blu-ray creator or DVD Fab are the way to go.
    I think these two are software for different tasks.
    Leawo Blu-ray Creator looks like a full authoring package. Input (your own unprotected) movie files, output Blu-ray disc. It has a free trial, so you can test it.
    DVD Fab makes Blu-ray Copy, Blu-ray Ripper, and Cinavia Removal, which is about a different kind of source files (existing discs). No authoring.

Roxio Toast can author and burn blu-ray. The menu styles are static, though, if you wish for movement there.
    Adobe Encore CS6 (2012) (bundled with Premiere Pro CS6) can author blu-ray. No longer being developed, though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like the Leawo stuff is part of a bigger suite as well.

I don't shoot any HD video fo my own, but I like the idea of being able to make a Blu-ray. While I don't rip either, that is a good option too. Mainly I want to be able to take Blu-ray files I get online and turn them into discs playable in standalone players, whether they be MKV going to iso or burning BDMV folders (Which I can do in Toast)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, I am seeing that my drive IS supposed to be able to handle DL Blu-ray discs, but it only says BD-R and BD-RE in the system info. Weird
    Quote Quote