VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everybody. New here. Looks great.

What do you think about this laptop for 4k editing on premiere pro without proxies?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia...ustomerreviews

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Depends on the flavor of 4K you're using and the length and complexity of your timeline. But what have you got against proxies -- especially in Premiere which makes it so easy to switch back and forth?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Don't know what type codec the g7 is using.

We are looking at two hours of 4k, full on titles, color grading.

The reason I prefer no proxies is because I suppose ( might be wrong) that it takes more time to import it as proxy. I just wanted to import raw 4k from the camera. I think I saw somewhere that it can be making the proxies while I am editing in the timeline but i dont want it to tax the system and make the workflow more slow and laggy. Even if it is for ten-20 minutes.

So that is why I am loooking at the most simple and quick method. No spending time encoding or making proxies but just import and start editing. Thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    John1, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by John1 View Post
    I am loooking at the most simple and quick method. No spending time encoding or making proxies but just import and start editing. Thoughts?
    100mbs mp4 is going to work that system pretty hard.

Try it. If you find the 4K material is laggy or slow (and I'm betting you will,) go ahead and create the proxies from the Premiere project panel. Any time this costs you will be more than made up in speed and ease of editing after the proxies are complete. (Speaking from experience.) Best of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I can't try it becuase I haven't bought it. Was looking for wisdom in order to be spared from having to buy it and try it. Going to keep searching for answers I guess. Thanks though.
    Quote Quote