VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi! Please tell me what to do and what plugins and scripts I should use to get the best picture and clean up the VHS using AvsPmod.
    This is my VHS record info I have on my computer. Well thank you!

Code:
    General
    Complete name                            : F:\VIDEO NAHRAVANIE\Brusel Paríž Belgicko_20170424-141347.avi
    Format                                   : AVI
    Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile                           : OpenDML
    File size                                : 17.6 GiB
    Duration                                 : 15 min 0 s
    Overall bit rate                         : 168 Mb/s

Video
    ID                                       : 0
    Format                                   : YUV
    Codec ID                                 : YUY2
    Codec ID/Info                            : YUV 4:2:2 as for UYVY but with different component ordering within the u_int32 macropixel
    Bit rate                                 : 166 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 720 pixels
    Height                                   : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 5:4
    Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
    Standard                                 : PAL
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2
    Compression mode                         : Lossless
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 16.000
    Stream size                              : 17.4 GiB (99%)

Audio
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness              : Little
    Format settings, Sign                    : Signed
    Codec ID                                 : 1
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 1 536 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth                                : 16 bits
    Stream size                              : 165 MiB (1%)
    Alignment                                : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration                     : 50  ms (1.25 video frame)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the mediainfo report, but no one can advise filters for unseen video. You should post a short, un-encoded sample. What's wrong with the video you're using now?
    Lossless capture is the best choice for VHS, but why are you capturing uncompressed? Don't you have lossless compressors such as huffyuv or Lagarith available? What are you using for the captures?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. I got the record from VHS using "EasyCAP" and "iuVCR". I used the Huffyuv, but it seemed worse to me, so I left the setting (None) uncompressed.
    Yes, of course, we may have a little bit of a chance to score.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The video preview is only 7 seconds since my upload is slow.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rUb8FoTYW0
    Quote Quote  
  5. It is tough to tell much from a YouTube version of a video. The capture looks pretty decent. However, there is not much detail. Did you turn off all noise reduction on your VCR before capturing? Many VCRs have an "edit" switch which must be turned on in order to turn off the noise reduction. You definitely do not want your VCR to do any noise reduction because it will give you "clay face" video, where most of the fine details have been fuzzed out. Yes, you will get more noise when you turn off the NR, but that can be reduced using AVISynth or VirtualDub plugins without doing as much damage to the details.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I tried different settings when recording a VHS video. What I uploaded to youtube was the best I ever got from the VHS. I will try to upload this video I put on youtube somewhere else to make it 1: 1. Can you tell me where I can upload it? You surely want to use the Avisynth, Virtualdub and AvsPmod image filters, plugins, and scriptures to edit them. I'm just new, I have no experience. Thank you for any advice and help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Miro72 View Post
    I got the record from VHS using "EasyCAP" and "iuVCR". I used the Huffyuv, but it seemed worse to me, so I left the setting (None) uncompressed.
    I don't see why that would be the case, since huffyuv is a lossless and transparent -- you get back 100% of whatever goes into it, unaltered. You can suit yourself in that regard, but it's easiest to make an 8 or 10 second edit in VirtualDub, then save it using "direct stream copy" video mode. You can reduce the file size to about 1/3 if you set YUY2/huffyuv compression and save it using "fast recompress" mode.

Video can be posted directly in the forum. Look under the reply window for the "Advanced mode" button. Click that, then in the reply window look for "Upload files/Manage attachments" labeled button at lower left. Give the video time to upload. The difficulty with YouTube posts is that we can't tell their added processing from yours. Let us know if that procedure gives any problems.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 5th May 2017 at 12:33.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Simply upload the file to Mediafire.
    Quote Quote  
  9. This is a video original.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for that sample.

The video was saved using full processing mode, thus was converted to RGB with some mildly blown out highlights and dingy looking shadows with oddly greyish looking shadow detail. We've seen worse, but you should be aware of processing settings and colorspace conversions. The conversion increased the original YUY2 file size, and takes up twice as much storage space as it would if it had been huffyuv/YUY2 lossless. There's easily visible object shimmer and ripples, and wiggling verticals from the absence of time base correction. These wiggles and ripples can't be repaired. The original VHS field order has been reversed. Probably a little improvement could otherwise be accomplished, but what kind of filtering were you looking for?

[EDIT]Never mind about the odd shadow detail, I think I figured it out. Either your EZCap or the software is clipping at y=16.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 4th Jun 2017 at 08:16.
    Quote Quote  
  11. As I mentioned above in this novice, I do not understand much and I need your help and I will advise you.
    My idea is to be at least somewhat better in color, a more stable and clear picture and to get rid of ghosts.
    I know there are a lot of good filters and plugins but I do not know which ones are good and in what order I should use and set them up.
    Please help me. I know there's a lot of wise people here. Thank you very much.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi, so I decided to make a VHS record to my computer again. I just need to advise how I should set it up. Thanks for help.

Compression
    Muxer
    Interleave
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	41500  

Quote Quote  
  13. Use the Capture Format button to select the color format. Set it to YUY2 or UYVY or some other YUV 4:2:2 variant.

Your capture device has a very poor comb filter for separating the chroma subcarrier from the composite signal. This causes little dancing dots wherever there is color. Check to see if your capture device has a selectable comb filter (probably not). If you can capture s-video instead of composite (probably not) you might avoid the problem.

You need a line time base corrector to reduce the horizontal wiggle on all the scan lines. This can't really be fixed in software. To do this you'll need an S-VHS deck with line TBC. Or you can pass the signal through an old DVD recorder with a line TBC before capturing.

Your VCR is over-sharpening causing halos. If it has a sharpness filter you can control (most don't) turn it off/down. You can do better in software. If your capture device has a sharpness setting -- set it to neutral.

Advanced filtering in AviSynth can alleviate (to some extent) some of these issues but you're better off not getting them in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  14. My video player is Panasonic NV-HD642
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Your VCR has no line tbc. Compare photos and small GIF video showing the effect of using a line-tbc pass thru device:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319420-Who-uses-a-DVD-recorder-as-a-line-TBC-and-w...e4#post1983288

Using a DVD recorder as a line tbc pass-thru device:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319420-Who-uses-a-DVD-recorder-as-a-line-TBC-and-what-do-you-use

Most pass-thru devices from Panasonic have decent y/c comb filters against dot crawl and can convert composite to s-video output. You must use a PAL-compatible version for pass-thru. There is no other way to fix the wiggles, wrinkles and stability of your capture.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 6th May 2017 at 22:36.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi, please, can you recommend some quality S-VHS Recorder?
    Excuse me I did not write earlier, but it did not allow my health. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Miro72 View Post
    Hi, please, can you recommend some quality S-VHS Recorder?
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide.html#post37136
    Quote Quote  
  18. LMotlow THX what are you talking about on this recorder? Panasonic NV-HS 1000
    Quote Quote  
  19. You'll have to be a little more clear with your question as it makes no sense to me. The Panasonic NV-HS 1000 is one of the good S-VHS PAL decks and has the coveted line TBC in it.
    Last edited by manono; 16th Nov 2017 at 15:28.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I need to get a record from a videotape to my computer so I can edit the record. I'm sorry for my weak English.
    Will it play classic vhs in s-vhs player?
    Last edited by Miro72; 16th Nov 2017 at 13:43.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Yes, all S-VHS VCRs can also play standard VHS tapes. I do it all the time with another of the good VCRs mentioned on that page.
    Quote Quote  
  22. So I can use the Panasonic NV-HS 1000 Video Recorder to transfer the record to my computer?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    The NV-HS1000 plays the tape. You connect it to a hardware capture device, either an internal capture card or USB capture device such as a Diamond VC500 or similar device plugged into your computer. You can use the software that comes with the capture device or you can use VirtualDub or AmarecTV capture software. AVsPmod cannot be used for capture. It's used for post-capture processing and editing with Avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Thank you so much for your information.
    Quote Quote