VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08qzld1/the-mccanns-10-years-without-madeleine?suggid=b08qzld1
    Can anyone help me stream this with livestreamer or youtube dl I am not in UK and youtube dl returns geolocation error
    Quote Quote  
  2. Youtube-dl works but you'll need a proxy or VPN with an exit point in the UK.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    I don't want to steal tea and crumpets out of the pockets of the scots, just to watch this news program about a missing girl.

Maybe the program will soon be on BBC America or via other outlets.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried different UK proxies I got from proxy sites. For some reason the download kept giving warnings and stalling/stopping around the 5 minute mark. What I got is uploaded here:
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/61125/bbc.mpg
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\default>cd..

C:\Documents and Settings>cd..

C:\>cd youtube-dl

C:\youtube-dl>youtube-dl --proxy "92.13.144.57:80" -f stream-uk-iptv_streaming_c
    oncrete_combined_hd_mf_akamai_uk_hls-803 "http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b
    08qzld1/the-mccanns-10-years-without-madeleine?suggid=b08qzld1"
    [bbc.co.uk] b08qzld1: Downloading video page
    [bbc.co.uk] b08qzld1: Downloading playlist JSON
    [bbc.co.uk] b08qzlcl: Downloading media selection XML
    [bbc.co.uk] b08qzlcl: Downloading m3u8 information
    WARNING: Failed to download m3u8 information: <urlopen error Tunnel connection f
    ailed: 400 Bad Request>
    [bbc.co.uk] b08qzlcl: Downloading MPD manifest
    WARNING: Failed to download m3u8 information: HTTP Error 302: The HTTP server re
    turned a redirect error that would lead to an infinite loop.
    The last 30x error message was:
    Moved Temporarily
    WARNING: Failed to download m3u8 information: HTTP Error 302: The HTTP server re
    Moved Temporarily
    Found
    Found
    WARNING: Failed to download m3u8 information: <urlopen error Tunnel connection f
    WARNING: Failed to download MPD manifest: <urlopen error Tunnel connection faile
    d: 400 Bad Request>
    WARNING: Failed to download MPD manifest: <urlopen error Tunnel connection faile
    [hlsnative] Downloading m3u8 manifest
    [hlsnative] Total fragments: 189
    [download] Destination: The McCanns - 10 Years Without Madeleine-b08qzlcl.mp4
    [download] 19.0% of ~140.48MiB at 8.64KiB/s ETA 41:34 ERROR: unable to do
    wnload video data: timed out

C:\youtube-dl>
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Someone seems to have posted it on Youtube, but I doubt if it will be there long
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EXpmaaEGPs
    Quote Quote  
  6. That youtube video is different from the bbc video in the first post.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That youtube video is different from the bbc video in the first post.
    No it is the same one. Downloaded it thanks. And thanks davexnet
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    I tried different UK proxies I got from proxy sites. For some reason the download kept giving warnings and stalling/stopping around the 5 minute mark. What I got is uploaded here:
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/61125/bbc.mpg
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\default>cd..

C:\Documents and Settings>cd..

C:\>cd youtube-dl

C:\youtube-dl>youtube-dl --proxy "92.13.144.57:80" -f stream-uk-iptv_streaming_c
    oncrete_combined_hd_mf_akamai_uk_hls-803 "http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b
    08qzld1/the-mccanns-10-years-without-madeleine?suggid=b08qzld1"
    [bbc.co.uk] b08qzld1: Downloading video page
    [bbc.co.uk] b08qzld1: Downloading playlist JSON
    [bbc.co.uk] b08qzlcl: Downloading media selection XML
    Moved Temporarily
    Moved Temporarily
    Found
    Found
    [hlsnative] Downloading m3u8 manifest
    [hlsnative] Total fragments: 189
    [download] Destination: The McCanns - 10 Years Without Madeleine-b08qzlcl.mp4
    [download] 19.0% of ~140.48MiB at 8.64KiB/s ETA 41:34 ERROR: unable to do
    wnload video data: timed out

C:\youtube-dl>
    Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    No it is the same one.
    I get two completely different videos. The youtube link is an hour long recap, mostly interviews with a lot of different people. The bbc video is a 24 minute interview with the parents.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
    No it is the same one.
    I get two completely different videos. The youtube link is an hour long recap, mostly interviews with a lot of different people. The bbc video is a 24 minute interview with the parents.
    I get the one hour one. I saw it live last night
    Quote Quote  
  11. Jagabo,
    I am curious how you got the video (since you knew it was 24 minutes long). I used a proxy and small resolution and got the whole video, but the proxy thing is very problematic. Here is the video:
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/61125/bbc2.mp4
    and here was the code I used:
    Code:
    youtube-dl --proxy "92.13.144.57:80" -f stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_akamai_uk_hls-434 "http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08qzld1/the-mccanns-10-years-without-madeleine?suggid=b08qzld1"
    Last edited by jimdagys; 5th May 2017 at 14:27.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I used a VPN with an exit point in the UK.

<later>

I tried your command line with the proxy (without the VPN). It timed out about halfway through. But running the command again picked up where it left off. So I was able to get the entire video.
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th May 2017 at 22:08.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    And for the record, jagabo is spot on when he states that the two links go to two different videos.

What you appear to have watched last night - not in the UK - was the Panorama program which is the yt link whereas the link you provided goes to a somewhat earlier program that just featured the parents.

Maybe you still want to download that one.
    Sorry i seem to have put up the wrong link. It was the Panorama i wanted. I originally watched it on http://uktv.robssatellitetv.com/watch-uk-tv-online/bbcone.php so must have put the wrong BBC lin. Sorry jagabo

Thanks for your help guys
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Here's the bbc link to the same video as the youtube video:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08pmtb1/panorama-madeleine-mccann-10-years-on
    Thanks. Sorry i put up the wrong link. You were right to say they were two different videos. Apologies Anyway i got it from the youtube link
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    Jagabo,
    I am curious how you got the video (since you knew it was 24 minutes long). I used a proxy and small resolution and got almost the whole video (23min 16sec), but the proxy thing is very problematic. Here is the video:
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/61125/bbc1.mp4
    and here was the code I used:
    Code:
    youtube-dl --proxy "92.13.144.57:80" -f stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_akamai_uk_hls-434 "http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08qzld1/the-mccanns-10-years-without-madeleine?suggid=b08qzld1"
    I am curious what the -f stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_akamai_uk_h ls-434 part means where did you get that part. Even though i have it i am interested in learning as much as possible
    Quote Quote  
  16. To Jagabo:
    Tried your command line with the proxy (without the VPN). It timed out about halfway through. But running the command again picked up where it left off. So I was able to get the entire video.
    Thank you very much for that info. I didn't realize the partial downloads (timed out files) had any value. I just kept deleting them and started over. Had I known the next attempt to download would automatically concatenate the partial download, I would have saved a huge amount of time in downloading the whole file.
    To Sounds:
    I am curious what the -f stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_akamai_uk_h ls-434 part means where did you get that part.
    I use the -F command which gives available resolutions. For example:
    Code:
    youtube-dl --proxy "176.126.245.23:3128" -F "http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08qzld1/the-mccanns-10-years-without-madeleine?suggid=b08qzld1"
    if the proxy is working, will give a list of available resolutions. I chose a small resolution, 384x216:
    Code:
    stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_akamai_uk_hls-434
    (small file) since the proxy was not reliable and kept timing out. It is easier to get the whole video under these circumstances.
    Below is a partial display of the available resolutions. If you look closely, there are six entries that correspond to 384x216 resolution.
    I don't know why that is. Maybe some would be easier to download.
    stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_limelight_u k_hls_https-268
    mp4 256x144 268k , avc1.42C015@ 156k, 25.0fps, mp4a.40.5@
    stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_akamai_uk_h ls-434
    mp4 384x216 434k , avc1.42C015@ 281k, 25.0fps, mp4a.40.2@1
    stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_akamai_uk_h ls_https-434
    stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_bidi_uk_hls-434
    stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_bidi_uk_hls _https-434
    stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_limelight_u k_hls-434
    stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_limelight_u k_hls_https-434
    stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_akamai_uk_h ls-802
    mp4 448x252 802k , avc1.42C01E@ 436k, 25.0fps, mp4a.40.2@3
    Last edited by jimdagys; 5th May 2017 at 15:13.
    Quote Quote  
  17. By the way, the "-c" option in youtube-dl is what makes it continue a previously aborted download.

Where did you get the proxy? It isn't working today.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Where did you get the proxy? It isn't working today.
    The free proxy thing is not reliable. I got the first one (which stopped working) from
    spys.ru/free-proxy-list/UK/
    I got another one (seems to work so so this moment) 176.126.245.23:3128
    from
    http://www.freeproxylists.com/uk/d1494004821.html
    By the way, the "-c" option in youtube-dl is what makes it continue a previously aborted download.
    The youtube-dl (about March 2017 version) seems to concatenate on partial downloads without using any special option.
    I verified this twice. I had about 12% downloaded (in many fragment files) and then closed the command window. I started the cmd and pasted in the same code and when it started downloading, it jumped from 0 to 12% in less than a second and then continued to download at the normal (slow) rate, adding the new fragments in numerical order after the already downloaded fragments. Here is the exact code I used (no -c):
    Code:
    youtube-dl --proxy "176.126.245.23:3128" -f stream-uk-iptv_streaming_concrete_combined_hd_mf_akamai_uk_hls-434 "http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08qzld1/the-mccanns-10-years-without-madeleine?suggid=b08qzld1"
    At bottom of this post is video screen capture of command window showing sudden jump in downloaded percentage:
    Question: 1)what vpn are you using and how much does it cost?
    2) in my mind, since the vpn installs in Windows, how can it make youtube-dl work, since youtube-dl is in the command line which has nothing to do with Windows? Do you just install the vpn and does it automatically work with youtube-dl (makes your command window seem to be in the UK)?
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: mpg 1.mpg (5.19 MB, 39 views)
    Last edited by jimdagys; 5th May 2017 at 19:09.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I hadn't noticed before that "-c" is the default in youtube-dl. Thanks for pointing it out.

When you run a VPN all your internet traffic (depending on how the VPN is set up) passes through the VPN. When you request a web page from a site it sees the VPN's IP address as the source of the request, not your IP address. When the web site replies to the VPN, the VPN forwards the reply to you.

Think of it like this: Say you want to send a letter to Mr. BBC but you don't want to know him to know you;re in the USA (he only talks to people in the UK). So you hire a guy, Mr. VPN, in the UK, to act as a go-between. You send your letter to Mr. VPN, he takes it out of your envelope, puts it in a new envelope with his return address, then he mails that letter to Mr. BBC. Mr. BBC receives the the letter and replies to Mr. VPN. Upon receiving the reply, Mr. VPN puts it in a new envelope, addresses it to you, and you get it.

Unfortunately, sites that use geoblocking often block known VPNs, even those in their own region. Once they figure out an IP address belongs to a VPN they black-list it. The one I use currently works for the BBC and Amazon Video, but not for Netflix.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I hadn't noticed before that "-c" is the default in youtube-dl. Thanks for pointing it out.

When you run a VPN all your internet traffic (depending on how the VPN is set up) passes through the VPN. When you request a web page from a site it sees the VPN's IP address as the source of the request, not your IP address. When the web site replies to the VPN, the VPN forwards the reply to you.

Think of it like this: Say you want to send a letter to Mr. BBC but you don't want to know him to know you;re in the USA (he only talks to people in the UK). So you hire a guy, Mr. VPN, in the UK, to act as a go-between. You send your letter to Mr. VPN, he takes it out of your envelope, puts it in a new envelope with his return address, then he mails that letter to Mr. BBC. Mr. BBC receives the the letter and replies to Mr. VPN. Upon receiving the reply, Mr. VPN puts it in a new envelope, addresses it to you, and you get it.

Unfortunately, sites that use geoblocking often block known VPNs, even those in their own region. Once they figure out an IP address belongs to a VPN they black-list it. The one I use currently works for the BBC and Amazon Video, but not for Netflix.
    Is that the only way they block vpns? i thought i read some sites 'know' the connection is from a VPN
    I also read some VPN's replace IPs once that are blacklisted
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by ponens View Post
    I don't want to steal tea and crumpets out of the pockets of the scots, just to watch this news program about a missing girl.

Maybe the program will soon be on BBC America or via other outlets.
    Oh the scots have plenty tea and crumpets
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
    Oh the scots have plenty tea and crumpets
    True, but I still sympathize with DB83 who explained that he is taxed to the hilt in order to pay for the bbc program and even has to get special license to even watch them. It isn't much different that mugging DB83 out in the street and picking his pocket of the program, so I understand why he is so deeply troubled by the mugging.

However, when Big Weekend 2017 Hull is shown later this month, I will still watch it though because it is never shown anywhere else outside of the british lands. I apologize in advance to DB83.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But BBC iplayer is intended for UK residents who possess a uk tv licence who actually fund the BBC. Anyone else is thus effectively stealing from these.
    This will make you happy:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/05/iplayer-login-tv-licence-fee-dodging/

E-mail addresses used to login to the iPlayer will be matched with records kept by TV Licensing to see if individuals are dodging the £145.50 fee to watch content...
    So using a VPN alone will no longer work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But BBC iplayer is intended for UK residents who possess a uk tv licence who actually fund the BBC. Anyone else is thus effectively stealing from these.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/05/iplayer-login-tv-licence-fee-dodging/

E-mail addresses used to login to the iPlayer will be matched with records kept by TV Licensing to see if individuals are dodging the £145.50 fee to watch content...
    Actually. This does not make me happy at all.

At present, there is a simple Yes/No question as to whether you have a tv licence. But the licence covers the household and the holder of the licence may not have provided sufficient verification information. In fact this method could exclude many legal users.

I have now registered - I am not the actual licence holder in this property - could be interesting when this becomes active.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

I hope this doesn't happen as I will be screwed. I never register for online services with my main email address as I don't want to be spammed so the address the BBC have doesn't match the TV license database.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please stay on topic and only discuss how to download from bbc. We can discuss if it's okey somewhere else.

All off topic posts deleted.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 19th May 2017 at 06:44.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I used a VPN with an exit point in the UK to access BBC iPlayer overseas.

<later>

I tried your command line with the proxy (without the VPN). It timed out about halfway through. But running the command again picked up where it left off. So I was able to get the entire video.

Sorry for bringing up an old topic. Anyone use smart dns for BBC iPlayer on smart TV?
    I want to stream it to my TV without VPN
    Quote Quote