VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

Does anyone know how to disable automatic playing of the next file in a playlist? If I have 10 files in the current playlist it will automatically play one after the other, without any human interaction. I think this should just be a easy setting to adjust, but can't find it anywhere

This is very inconvenient because: If I fall asleep watching tv I don't want it running all night. Also, because it will auto play every file I won't know the last file I was on and watching.

I want to manually choose "Next" after each file.

In VLC the setting is: "Pause on the last frame of a video"

But I can't find any setting like that in PotPlayer.

Any help would be appreciated..... Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ditto.

I REALLY wish someone could bump this feature, if it doesn't already exist.

I teach courses, and this involves using a lot of video slides. Potplayer is the only video player that I use that will do frame forward/back, so I have to use it.

The courses have a LOT of video slides, so of course the stupid playlist takes over, and assumes I want to play the files in sequence. Loading up 20 videos means loading 20 instances of potplayer in the windows taskbar. This is NOT a small thing. It eats incredible amounts of time, and introduces errors.

PLEEEEEEEEASSSSSSE does someone have a fix for this, or can it be added?

Either:

1. Disable playlist feature

OR *preferably*

2. Disable auto play next playlist file (so I have to hit PGDN to manually proceed to the next video when I NEED to, not when the program thinks I do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To those people finding this post now (it was on top of google for me after all):

It's now possible to disable playing the next file. Right click in player → Playback → Playback Settings... → And set "Repeat Video Playback" to "Repeat playing file". This will make so that you have to press Page Down to get to the next video.

To disable the automatic playlist function altogether: Preferences (F5) → Expand "Playback" and go into playlist and untick "Auto add similar files in play folder", then go into general and select "Add only selected files to playlist" in the "When files opened" drop-down menu.
    Last edited by C4illin; 22nd Jun 2018 at 20:22. Reason: Grammar
    Quote Quote  
  4. THANK YOU!

You have no idea how much time this will save me. Having to manually launch each clip was adding 10 to 15% of my setup time at least. Much tedium is now eliminated. Greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    YOU ARE WELCOME!

I'm glad I could help someone at least
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but the mentioned solution isn't working for me. Or instead, this still runs the same file again when it's finished.

Is there a way to make it so that nothing happens at all when a file is done playing, i.e. the playback just stops altogether and you have to decide if you want to play it again or go to the next?

Thanks to anyone that can help me figure this out.

edit: using version 1.7.18346 (April 2019) if that can help
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I know, it isn't possible to both have a playlist and don't play the next file unless you set to repeat file. I would be interested if you someday come up with a solution.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    @C4illin Thanks for replying so quick. I was especially interested in your input since you provided the initial answer

I'll use another software then, not a big deal. Basically my use case is that I'm working with folders containing (very) short sound effects, and I'd like to listen to them one after one to compare them. Opening each file manually feels a bit tedious so I was hoping I could add them to a playlist and just use prev/next controls.

Anyway, I'll make sure to update this thread if I somehow find a way (PotPlayer has so many useful options/settings that we may have missed something!)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Jeez.

This must be one of the most crazy topics that I have ever come across. 'Playlist' combines two words - 'Play' and 'List'. So it figures that the whole point of a Playlist is to play all the items in that list.

If you do not want them to play then do not list them.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Jeez.

This must be one of the most crazy topics that I have ever come across. 'Playlist' combines two words - 'Play' and 'List'. So it figures that the whole point of a Playlist is to play all the items in that list.
    Dude, one of the most crazy topics you've ever come across? Really?

Fact is: other (very) old software such as Media Player Classic and some older audio players can do this (maybe newer ones too, I wouldn't know).

Now if you want to be nitpicky about the definition of a playlist, you said it yourself: it's that, a list of tracks to be played. Nothing implies they should be played one after the other automatically, nor in any specific order, nor on a loop or not, etc.

PotPlayer has tons of options for different use cases and that's a good thing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I believe this is a bug since Repeat Playback options state - Cycle Repeat Playback, Enable: repeat playing file, Enable: repeat playlist and Disable. It seems logical, since the other repeat options are offered, that Disabled should do nothing, like the OP (and many of us) expect/would like to see.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Jeez.

Old thread I know, but I can't let this slide, on the off-chance that someone reads this and thinks it's a feature that should be removed.

This feature is NOT crazy; you simply do not understand my needs. Thankfully you're not the programmer!

Here's why this feature saves me a lot of time: I use Potplayer as a lecture tool when giving classes. This involves playing many short movies (up to 20 or 30 in some cases).

I need to be able to play a movie, let it cycle, talk to the students over the animation that's happening, then be able to move to the next item in the playlist when I want to, NOT when the playlist does.

When recording tutorials before having this feature, I had to manually open each file. Maybe this doesn't sound like a lot of effort to you, but when you have 20+ movies and 20+ chapters, well, this gets tedious very quickly. If you want to see crazy, see me after having to open 20 versions of potplayer instead of just one, then juggling them all in the taskbar. God, that was awful. Maybe an hour of my time wasted, as well as mucking with my delivery, and probably similar amount of pointless busywork for the editors who also had to cut out all the taskbar chicanery.

So no, this feature request was NOT crazy, and please let's not get rid of it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @dermotm

I think PotPlayer, VLC and Zoom Player have too many features (each like 5000) with too weak quality, lots of things have very low usability, if you search something you are lost because the player, nor the documentation is searchable, the support is weak, the UI is outdated since decades.

I used to write huge rants due to major disappointments from desktop players, fortunately I found mpv, it solved all my problems, in mpv the settings you want might look like this:

profile = gpu-hq
    input-ar-delay = 500
    input-ar-rate = 20
    volume = 50
    keep-open = always
    keep-open-pause = no
    screenshot-directory = ~~desktop/
    input-default-bindings = no
    screen = 1
    osd-playing-msg = ${filename}
    alang = de,en
    hwdec = yes
    Quote Quote  
  14. Preferences - General - When files opened - Add only selected files to playlist. Make sure to set Repeat Video Playback back to Disable if you followed #3.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Jeez.

'If you do not want to open all the files in a folder then do not put them in a folder.'
    'We've removed the Stop button. If you do not want to watch videos all the way through then do not play them.'

It's a play list, not an autoplay list.
    Last edited by dogeboy; 21st Jul 2020 at 00:30.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Whether you have files in your playlist or not, the solution is simple:
    Right-click -> Misc -> When Playback Finished => Stay in current item when playback ends.
    Right-click -> Misc -> When Playback Finished => Remember playback finished action.

Also make sure that:
    Preferences (F5) -> Playback -> Repeat video playback = Disable.

Cheers
    Last edited by Kyuzo; 14th Nov 2020 at 13:51.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I've just come back to this thread as well after a long time to get the setting needed.
    I was wondering if anyone ever investigated whether those endless updates from Pot Player
    (which you have to take to stop the pop ups) resets a feature like this and it needs to be
    adjusted after the Pot Player auto install "upgrade."
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    I've just come back to this thread as well after a long time to get the setting needed.
    I was wondering if anyone ever investigated whether those endless updates from Pot Player
    (which you have to take to stop the pop ups) resets a feature like this and it needs to be
    adjusted after the Pot Player auto install "upgrade."
    I avoided worrying about that altogether by installing the latest ad-free version, then disabling updates.
    Quote Quote  
  19. A good suggestion.

The update versions I've been getting have a blank pop up box on load which then goes away by itself.
    Do you have a good link for Pot Player ad-free current?

Also which of the complicated user screens has turn off updates?

thanks for the reply.

Also I'm seeing the 'old thread' warning. Should this be rolled over into a new topic for others?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Also I'm seeing the 'old thread' warning. Should this be rolled over into a new topic for others?
    We're also going off topic. You'd better create a new thread and link to it here.
    Quote Quote