VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a good Virtualdub filter chain for improving the quality of a video that almost looks perfect but has minor amounts of youtube-ish compression artifacts and frame blending? I also want to preserve the sharpness of the image as much as I can
    Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe. Without a video sample nobody can give you anything specific. You'll probably need AviSynth to remove frame blending.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I'll be honest, the video I'm trying to restore actually was ripped from youtube.

https://youtu.be/nFvm_ZyX22A

DiC lost the original master to this particular Super Mario Bros Super Show episode a long time ago. The only version of it available on Region 1 DVD plays at a noticeably slower speed and has extra commercial fades inserted that weren't originally there. But apparently the original version of the episode was released on DVD in Europe or something, and this guy also has other high-quality episodes uploaded that have their original song covers intact. These must be international prints because they have a Saban logo at the end instead of a DiC logo. I already know how to rip the video, I just want to know if there's anything I can do with virtualdub to make it look like it's the same quality as the other episodes I have on DVD. And everything I'm doing here is completely legal under Fair Use laws, this is just for my own personal viewing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The live action segments look ok. The animated segments have blended frames. Character animation is at 12.5 (or maybe 12, or 11.998) fps. The blending in those segments can be eliminated with SRestore(frate=12.5).ChangeFPS(25) in AviSynth (I don't know of any similar filter for VirtualDub). But the animated panning shots have too much blending to restore them to clean frames.

If you have access to the original DVDs (or broadcast recordings) you might have better luck.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do have a DVD rip of this episode, but it's the slowed down version from the region 1 DVD abd using it to restore panning shots would take tons of trial and error
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's much easier to speed up a video than fix blending artifacts.
    Quote Quote