VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Computers are bastards.

About 3 years ago I bought a USB3 card for my old PC. It was an NEC controller when I bought it (I'm fairly sure), later to because a Renesas controller after a driver update.

Since day one the USB3 drive I use with the card has disconnected and reconnected intermittently, resulting in the Windows "ding" sound each time. Not enough to make it unusable, but enough to be a little annoying. I mention this as I've read quite a few forum posts over the years complaining about the same thing.

3 years later my Logitech mouse died. It'd never given me an problem as such before, although the scroll wheel had stopped working reliably and it started dropping out too (even a couple of blue screens I now blame on the mouse), so I replaced. It.

My USB3 drive has now been running non-stop for nearly a week without a single dropout. My USB card reader, which has always been a bit flaky (not always connecting at USB2 speed or sometimes not connecting properly till I reboot the computer) has worked perfectly since I replaced the mouse, although I've only used it a couple of times.

It's odd because I have several USB2 hard drives and they've never been a problem and haven't dropped out as the USB3 drive did. The mouse was plugged into a USB2 port.

Computers.....
    Last edited by hello_hello; 4th May 2017 at 07:18.
    Quote Quote