VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    the move to total lockdown is on. win10 s ONLY allows programs to run if they were downloaded from the windows store.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Evidential sources ?
    References ?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/2/15506378/microsoft-windows-10-s-os-operating-system-...unced-features

I don't think we need to go into panic mode quite yet. This new version of Windows 10 is comparable to Chrome OS -- runs on low end hardware and designed for use by school children (or adults who cannot manage to successfully use a regular PC I guess).
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's not the win10 s that's as disturbing as the general direction m.s. is going.

win10 s was introduced on the new $999.00 surface laptop, not exactly low end
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those who don't need to be protected from themselves can pay a fee to unlock their system and use Windows 10 Pro instead. From http://www.anandtech.com/show/11324/microsoft-announces-windows-10-s-rt-redux :
    Second, Windows 10 S can be unlocked to Windows 10 Pro. So if you do need to use apps outside of the store, you can pay to have the system unlocked. Finally, the Store has changed as well, meaning this is not quite as restrictive as it once was.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes we can pay extra to run freeware!!!
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Those who don't need to be protected from themselves can pay a fee to unlock their system and use Windows 10 Pro instead. From http://www.anandtech.com/show/11324/microsoft-announces-windows-10-s-rt-redux :
    Second, Windows 10 S can be unlocked to Windows 10 Pro. So if you do need to use apps outside of the store, you can pay to have the system unlocked. Finally, the Store has changed as well, meaning this is not quite as restrictive as it once was.
    As stated in your link, the 's' in w10 "s" stands for stupid.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  8. That's why I haven't upgraded my Windows xp.
    Code:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I for one not only have no problem with this move but support it and hope that MS expands it...as a way of teaching everyone a lesson they should have learned years ago when XP first introduced "activation" and switched to Linux.

MS's action have no effect on me, I can't wait until they switch to a pure subscription model, where you have to pay a yearly fee to keep using the OS on your computer.

I love it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    yes we can pay extra to run freeware!!!
    My guess is the license for Windows 10 "S" (geared towards schools) costs less than the license for Windows 10 Pro. The cost to upgrade from "S" to Pro is $49, which is less than the $100 cost to upgrade from Home to Pro.

Not every single Windows 10 PC is going to come with Windows 10 "S" pre-installed. The "S" edition, as stated, is geared mainly towards students and perhaps some others who need to be protected from themselves, i.e. users who tend to install every bit of free malware-infected software that they run across.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With my secondhand Chromebook, it's pretty restrictive. Having to be logged in to your gmail account at all times if you want to use your bookmarks and addons. Otherwise you have to use guest, which wipes the browser every restart. The ChromeOS does not work with Android apps currently, so you are limited to ChromeOS apps. Also no support for Firefox or any other browser to my knowledge. But for on the go simple stuff it's fine. I guess Windows looked at the ChromeOS model and wanted to copy it. Apparently they make Explorer the default browser and the Bing search engine is being forced on users.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    With my secondhand Chromebook, it's pretty restrictive. Having to be logged in to your gmail account at all times if you want to use your bookmarks and addons. Otherwise you have to use guest, which wipes the browser every restart. The ChromeOS does not work with Android apps currently, so you are limited to ChromeOS apps. Also no support for Firefox or any other browser to my knowledge. But for on the go simple stuff it's fine. I guess Windows looked at the ChromeOS model and wanted to copy it. Apparently they make Explorer the default browser and the Bing search engine is being forced on users.
    Yes. Microsoft is explicitly competing with Google's Chromebooks. The new Surface laptop is not a typical example of the notebooks that will come with Windows "S" pre-installed. Most of the laptops that will come with Windows "S" pre-installed are supposedly going to be priced at around $200. Also, it looks like it will be possible to switch the new Surface laptop to Windows 10 Pro at no charge until the end of 2017. See: https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/2/15517708/window-10-s-upgrade-devices-windows-10-pro

Users are forced to use Edge as their browser on a Windows 10 "S" system. It may be possible to download other browsers from the app store at some point, but they can't be set as the default. To use a search engine other than Bing, it is necessary to go to the its home page to perform the search i.e. google.com or duckduckgo.com.

I can't see myself using Windows "S" (too many restrictions), but it might be a good fit for elementary and middle school students, plus barely computer literate adults who prefer to stick with Windows.
    Quote Quote