VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,

I have been using Amazon's Fire TV stick for some time and I realised it looses internet quite often. One of the reason could be my router is in other room. Essentially, the signal is blocked by TV itself and one wall. I am hoping that if I buy a 2M HDMI cable and move the TV stick to somewhere else, it will not be blocked by at least by TV.

I was looking at HDMI cables online and in shops and I was in shock that the price can range from £3 up to £99 O_o . There is speed parameter like 27Gbps GOLD (£99), 21 Gbps silver (£79), 18 Gbps BLACK (£59) and online cables for £7 on Amazon where speed is not stated. There is also measure of signal degradation, I remember something like 18 dB.

Which parameters are important? Could someone help me to choose on a cable? My TV is semi old but very good and it is not 4K. I am not planning on buying 4K any time soon. Amazon Fire TV is also 2K AFAIK.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used several inexpensive 2-meter HDMI cables for 1080p video. All have been fine. A £7 cable should be OK as long as it is labeled as "High-Speed". If a 6 meter or longer HDMI cable was required, you might need a cable with heavier wire gauge than normal or a cable with built-in amplification to get a perfect picture.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with usually_quiet. I've used many cheap HDMI cables as well, and never had any problems.
    Generally, digital interconnects either work or don't work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Last edited by jagabo; 2nd May 2017 at 20:43.
    Quote Quote