VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, i have been thinking to buy an SSD for ages (Never got one yet) but now i have made up my mind to buy one as my WD 1 TB Caviar Black is now over 6 years old and i better replace it with an SSD before it goes silent and take my OS and everything with it.

I am not considering anything less then 1 TB under any circumstances and space was and still one of the biggest reason i haven't bought an SSD yet so going below that is simply out of the question. What i want to ask is does it make sense to buy a SATA based SSD now when newer PCIE based SSD's getting more and more popular?

I am thinking Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB but my friend said that i'd be a Moron to get a sata ssd now. My motherboard is Asus Maximus VI Hero (4th gen with i7 4770k) so i don't even know if it supports the newer ssd's without some kind of extension cards.

I have a niece who loves playing The Sims 3 and 4 on my PC and the load times can get extremely long, i am talking over 3 minutes to get into the game and she complains so speeding those load times along with general OS is my goal. I have a fairly high end PC otherwise, a 4770k, 32GB DDR3 @ 2100MHz and GTX 1080.

Oh and last question, since ssd's are 2.5" will i need a new cage to convert my 3.5" drive cage to 2.5" or can they fit into any hdd bay without an issue?
    Quote Quote  
  2. From what I can tell you'd need the more expensive PCIe SSD, a suitable adapter if the SSD uses the M.2 slot and maybe even a BIOS mod to support booting. Let's say 30% more costs. Is that worth it? Tough question. I think you will probably not notice. But only you can decide. That said, I haven't seen any benchmarks specifically for the Sims SATA vs PCIe.

If you buy the 2.5" SATA one you need an enclosure/adapter if your case only has free 3.5" ones. But look carefully. Some cases can take SSDs via top/bottom screws instead of from the side (see this).

PCIe lanes may also be a topic you might want to look into.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'd recommend using a 2.5 to 3.5" adapter -- but in a pinch you can simply put the 2.5" drive in a 3.5" slot and only screw in one side.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    From what I can tell you'd need the more expensive PCIe SSD, a suitable adapter if the SSD uses the M.2 slot and maybe even a BIOS mod to support booting. Let's say 30% more costs. Is that worth it? Tough question. I think you will probably not notice. But only you can decide. That said, I haven't seen any benchmarks specifically for the Sims SATA vs PCIe.

If you buy the 2.5" SATA one you need an enclosure/adapter if your case only has free 3.5" ones. But look carefully. Some cases can take SSDs via top/bottom screws instead of from the side (see this).

PCIe lanes may also be a topic you might want to look into.
    Yeah i have been actually reading a lot today and from what i understand games HDD access in general is 4K read/writes rather then sequential reads so i doubt the newer ssd's will make much difference. Yeah they may actually be 4-5 times faster in sequential read/writes on paper but in games difference is going to be negligible since they aren't that fast then normal ssd's when it comes to 4k.

And yeah about my case, i have Cooler Master HAF 932, old edition not the advanced edition which doesn't have any space for mounting 2.5" drives so i have already ordered this:
    https://www.amazon.com/1x3-5-Device-Drive-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00IEINA7K

I think i am going to go with 850 EVO, that ssd seems solid and have best benchmark results when it comes to SATA III ssds.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using a 250GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2.5" in my main PC with a 3.5" adapter for a couple of years. No problems,
    and it does really speed up boot operations. The PC also has four 1.5TB HDDs for data.

I have a M.2 250GB EVO in my laptop also, along with a 1TB data HDD. It also works well.

But my games are all on the hard drives, so no major speed improvements for launching games from the SSD.
    I try to keep the SSDs at about 50% free space to allow the SSDs to move data around for wear leveling.
    I have about 94GB of game data on my laptop, so I don't want to overload the SSD with all that.

My secondary HDD on the laptop is a 1TB drive. Load times for games from it are usually about 15 seconds or so.
    I don't have any of the SIMS games at present, so not sure on their load times.
    The SSD may not be a lot faster for game loads as the CPU still does a lot of processing for game setups. Depends on the game.

That adapter you ordered doesn't seem show a cover for the open 3.5" bay, so you may need something for that.
    Quote Quote