Greetings VideoHelp Forum! I have encountered a problem after burning my DVDStyler project in dual-layer DVD disc.
I'm new to this community, and I will try to help others with their problems, if i can.
So basically I've been using DVDStyler v.3.0.3 to burn my home videos into DVD. I've normally been using 4.7 Gb discs, and created a menu for the DVD, but there are some videos that I have burnt on dual-layer 8.5 Gb discs successfully, without a menu. When I burn 3 videos on a dual-layer disc (Verbatim DVD+R 8x), using a menu screen to select a certain video, the whole burning phase was done without errors.
The PROBLEM occurs when I start the DVD after it has finished burning. In the 3:rd video, (somewhere in the middle of the 3:rd video), the video just stops and the media player just crashes, without a error screen (problem occurs both with VLC player and windows media player). I burnt the files for a second time, thinking that the disc had some problem, but the same thing happened in the second disc.
Also to note that when i start the .vob files manually from the disc, it has all the content I initially selected to be burnt to the disc, but somehow the video crashes half way of the final video.
I'm kind of new to burning files to DVD, so would appreciate some help on this one. Could this be a layer break issue, and if it is, can I manually try to break the layers, or do I need to burn the videos on a new disc, and what should I be doing differently to avoid this problem?
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab Passkey and copy Blu-ray and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Try burning at 4x speed
And check your burner for a firmware update.
Use ImgBurn for the actual burning to disk. Make sure the DVD size is considerably under 8 GiB. I don't use DVD Styler and don't know what it uses for the actual burning (ImgBurn will warn you), what nomenclature it uses, and how it places the layer change marker. I'm thinking you may have gone over the size limit because you fell for the 8.5 nonsense. Yes, it's 8.5GB, but since no one uses that capacity term except for the DVD manufacturers (because it sounds like more), lots of people get hoodwinked by it.
Hello, and thanks for the replies.
I will try to find a new firmware to the burner, it has not been updated in ages. I had the burn speed on auto both of the times, and will try with 4x.
I guess there is a chance that I have gone over the limit, I have 7.59 Gb of content in the disc, and it features 135 minutes of video material.
I will probably try a new disc, and try to burn it using ImgBurn tomorrow, and see if the problem occurs then.
At 7.59 (GB or GiB) you're probably okay on the size. Then you might think about where you created chapters, or if you created any at all, other than the default 3 titles with each being a single chapter. If, for example, the layer break was set at the end of the first video, I can easily see part of the third video being cut off, since there might not have been enough space in the second layer for both the second and third videos. Just idle speculation, but if that's the problem the answer for it is to go back and create more chapters.
Ok, so I tried burning with ImgBurn, and the problem still persists. It apparently is some issue with the DVDStyler software, because I tried to create a ISO image of the same project, that I burned in the dual layer disc. I opened the ISO image on Daemon tools, and it's the same issue as with the burnt dual layer disc.
I anyhow tried to go to Build mode in Imgburn, and see if there would be a chance for it to work with the layer break option, but the software found only 2 layer breaks, with average rating. I tried with one of them, and it wouldn't work.
So i guess there is some problem when encoding the video files and menus with DVD Styler, that I don't seem to get. I tried to create more chapters as instructed, so I had one chapter at 0.00, one in 5.00 and so one, with every 5 minutes i created one chapter more, and resulted with double the chapters as first, but didn't work. Don't know if this was the way to do it..
Any suggestions is appreciated, and I thank you for trying to help with this issue.
Maybe you're right, but I, for one, don't know how to diagnose the problem, if it's an encoding problem or a layer break creation problem.
Although I don't use it, I wouldn't use DVD Styler anyway, to do the encoding, but just for menu creation and for authoring. A much better encoder (HCEnc) is available in AvsToDVD and my own next suggestion is to use it for the DVD creation. Its menu creation is rudimentary but at this point I don't think you care much, given that you've already wasted a few expensive dual layer DVDs. AvsToDVD can also create ISOs for testing before burning to disk.
If you don't like its simple text-based menus, you can replace them later with your DVDStyler-created ones.