VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I am new here, hello everybody

I have a question for you, I was trying to replicate the popup effect from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6zVzWU95Sw

These small messages popup appearing on top of people sitting...I assume is done with after effects. Does this has a specific name? Where can I find a tutorial?

Thank you!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 8.58.31 PM.png
Views:	134
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	41392  

Quote Quote  
  2. It's just basic layer animation - there is no specific name for this technique or effect.

I'm going to guess that you are new to AE. You will probably need to start with some intro after effects tutorials. Even if you find a tutorial covering this exactly, you'll be lost unless you know the basics

Each pop up is a layer (there might be a graphic, or text animation or video on the layer). They transition from "nothing" by animating the opacity parameter of the layer. Each one "sticks" to it's "own person" as the shot camera moves. That is done by motion tracking and parenting . Sometimes they animate or move off (again basic layer animation), and motion blur is added to smooth things over . Some of them are tilted at an angle (you have x,y,z axes - 3d space in AE) .

You really don't need AE for this, it can be done in any NLE, even free ones . It's just the "sticking" part that is made much easier and accurate with motion tracking. But even basic consumer NLE's like cyberlink powerdirector, corel videostudio have motion tracking now.

The concepts are the same in any editor or AE. The keywords or terms you'll want to look up are:

layers
    basic animation - keyframes (the "stopwatch" in AE) , but all programs have similar keyframe animation
    motion tracking
    motion blur

If you're still lost, ask specific questions
    Quote Quote