VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello all ... ive added my vhs player to my capture card and all im getting is black and white with green and red, i just can not seem to get a colour picture no matter what i try my connection is ----> from scart adaptor to svhs lead to my avt-8710 to capture card from there through svhs to a hdmi adaptor ... hope that makes sence ... i have tryd new leads and ntsc/pal settings ect with no joy :/
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a bad s-video cable or connector.
    Since you tried different cables, maybe a bad socket or broken wire in a socket or something mis-wired.
    s-video pinouts: http://pinouts.ru/Home/SVideo_pinout.shtml

But others here may have better advice. And it would help to give your VCR brand and model.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thank you for your feed back ..... im thinking its a bad conection on my time base corrector :/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hdfills View Post
    my connection is ----> from scart adaptor to svhs lead to my avt-8710 to capture card from there through svhs to a hdmi adaptor ... hope that makes sence ... i have tryd new leads and ntsc/pal settings ect with no joy :/
    Holy hell that setup sounds complex.

You said "VHS player". If it's really a VHS and not S-VHS model, the SCART will not have the option to output S-Video and you will have problems.

And why no sample image attached?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hdfills View Post
    all im getting is black and white with green and red..... im thinking its a bad conection on my time base corrector :/
    That doesn't sound right. Loss of the chroma signal (of the s-video luma/chroma pair) would lead to a black and white (ie, greyscale) picture. Loss of the U channel of a YUV source would lead to a greyscale + red/green. But you couldn't get that with a bad s-video connection/cable. It would have to happen inside the TBC, after it separates the multiplexed chroma from the s-video input.

Full color image on left, loss of U (of YUV) on right:

[Attachment 41388 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Apr 2017 at 19:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hdfills View Post
    hello all ... ive added my vhs player to my capture card and all im getting is black and white with green and red, i just can not seem to get a colour picture no matter what i try my connection is ----> from scart adaptor to svhs lead to my avt-8710 to capture card from there through svhs to a hdmi adaptor ... hope that makes sence ... i have tryd new leads and ntsc/pal settings ect with no joy :/
    I agree that it may help to simplify your connection chain.
    Also.....just because you can watch an NTSC tape on your TV in color does NOT mean you can capture it in color.....quite the opposite actually.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I agree that it may help to simplify your connection chain.
    Of course, standard diagnostic procedures always apply. Simply the connections. If the simple setup works properly work your way up to the full sequence one step at a time. Work out a way to test each cable/component separately. Replace any suspect cables/components with known good ones and try again. Etc.

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Also.....just because you can watch an NTSC tape on your TV in color does NOT mean you can capture it in color.....quite the opposite actually.
    Yes. NTSC tapes played on VHS decks in PAL countries output PAL60 which is a combination of PAL and NTSC (60Hz NTSC sync, 4.43 MHz PAL chroma carrier). Most PAL TVs can display this hybrid signal correctly. Most capture cards cannot handle it properl If you set up to capture as NTSC you will get a greyscale image. If you set up to capture as PAL any of a number of problems will occur: no cap at all, rolling picture, partial frame, dropped frames, etc..
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Apr 2017 at 07:10.
    Quote Quote