VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hi guys. I'm posting this on Windows XP Pro but at some time in the next week I'm going to zero fill my OS drive and install the 64-Bit version of a Retail Windows 7 Pro license I acquired. It may or may not have any bearing on my question but I'm including it just in case.

I downloaded and installed Videolan's VLC Media Player, and following the simple instructions on this DigitalTrends Guide I've been able to download a couple of short How To videos in seconds.

What I don't understand is what format I should be saving these as. I've just blindly been saving them as .mp4 and they (seem to) work, but what if I wanted to download a HI-RES video? Thank you for your suggestions!
    Flying around and ready to bite.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Save the video with whatever the default type you get at the dialog. If you use a different extension it will be wrong. Save As doesn't remux, it just renames.
    Last edited by jagabo; 22nd Apr 2017 at 16:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, but Jagabo you're not suggesting these av formats are identical are you? But it does get me thinking. These YouTube videos — are you locked into the quality of the format originally used? Let's say I download a music video the artist recorded in a HI-RES format. Will it be HI-RES no matter what format I save it as? — in other words, there can be no other format exported to?
    Flying around and ready to bite.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by MISS CHIEVOUS View Post
    Yes, but Jagabo you're not suggesting these av formats are identical are you?
    No. I suggesting that renaming an MP4 (or other) video with an AVI extension (or other) doesn't make it an AVI file, just an misnamed MP4 file.

Originally Posted by MISS CHIEVOUS View Post
    But it does get me thinking. These YouTube videos — are you locked into the quality of the format originally used? Let's say I download a music video the artist recorded in a HI-RES format. Will it be HI-RES no matter what format I save it as? — in other words, there can be no other format exported to?
    Using "Save As" in a browser you will get whatever the resolution of the video you download is. Youtube videos are typically available in many different resolutions.

[Attachment 41350 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote