VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an mkv file that does not output sound on my tv because of the audio format. Looking for a solution. thanks
    So far i demuxed it and tried audacity and a couple of other programs to convert it but what comes out is just noise

When i open the file in any audio editors it says it cannot determine the format and it's asking me to choose attributes and rate (hz). I only know this:

Code:
    Audio #1
    ID                          : 2
    Format                      : TrueHD
    Codec ID                    : A_TRUEHD
    Duration                    : 1 h 59 min
    Bit rate mode               : Variable
    Bit rate                    : 3 659 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate            : 5 634 kb/s
    Channel(s)                  : 8 channels
    Channel positions           : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate               : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate                  : 1 200.000 FPS (40 spf)
    Compression mode            : Lossless
    Stream size                 : 3.06 GiB (20%)
    Last edited by Kand; 20th Apr 2017 at 09:33.
    Quote Quote  
  2. ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -map 0 -c:v copy -c:a ac3 -c:s copy "output.mkv"
    or
    ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -map 0 -c:v copy -c:a dts -c:s copy "output.mkv"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Or from TrueHD to FLAC with AudioMuxer. Saves space.

PS: You have to update manually the files at "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\AudioMuxer" , because they're not up to date. The files that gets installed are way too old.... Eac3to, libFLAC.dll, mkvmerge.exe & mkvextract from mkvtoolnix, MediaInfo CLI.exe...and maybe the 7z files in the "Encoding" Folder. All x32 bit.
    Last edited by xxAno...xx; 21st Apr 2017 at 01:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can do it in one process using PopcornMKV Audio Converter https://www.videohelp.com/software/PopCorn-MKV-AudioConverter no need to demux or muck about with command line routines. Just load the file in and select what you want. The default settings are TrueHD to DTS
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    The default settings are TrueHD to DTS

TrueHD to DTS?

I only see TrueHD to FLAC.

I am looking for a program to convert TrueHD 7.1 to DDP 7.1, does anyone know one that is free software?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't think there is any free DD+/E-AC3 encoder that supports 7.1.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    I don't think there is any free DD+/E-AC3 encoder that supports 7.1.

Well, do you know with what program I can convert TrueHD 7.1 to DDP 5.1 with 1536kbps?
    Quote Quote  
  8. For example:
    ffmpeg -i "input.thd" -c:a eac3 -b:a 1536k "output.eac3"
    or within a container:
    ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -map 0 -c:v copy -c:a eac3 -b:a 1536k -c:s copy "output.mkv"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    For example:
    ffmpeg -i "input.thd" -c:a eac3 -b:a 1536k "output.eac3"
    or within a container:
    ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -map 0 -c:v copy -c:a eac3 -b:a 1536k -c:s copy "output.mkv"
    I did it with useac3to.
    I wanted to ask you, in case you want to convert TrueHD 7.1 to DDP 5.1 or FLAC.
    Which of these last two would be the best option?
    Quote Quote  
  10. What is your goal?
    Quality-wise FLAC because FLAC is a lossless compression (like TrueHD).
    If you want to balance quality/file size then I would extract the (E-)AC3 core (if your source is a Blu-Ray it should have such a core). That's what I do, personally. I do not hear any difference to TrueHD/FLAC.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    You can do it in one process using PopcornMKV Audio Converter https://www.videohelp.com/software/PopCorn-MKV-AudioConverter no need to demux or muck about with command line routines. Just load the file in and select what you want. The default settings are TrueHD to DTS

That PopcornMKV Audio Converter looks like it would be useful- the download is a zip file with an exe file. When run, the program says it needs to download the toolkit. When I try to download, nothing happens- a progress bar appears but nothing downloads.
    It seems that the program link is dead. What utilities are needed and how should this be set up on a PC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After you install the program there should be a a zip file called AudioConverterTools.ZIP that contains all the helper programs. just create a folder called Tools and put them in that folder. Try this site http://auto-download.com/download/get/IcrAUQqHei/audioconvertertools_zip.html
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks netmask56. I was able to download the tools.
    I do have a problem getting the program to actually convert anything. A window pops up for a second (getting info on the file) and no file appears in the output folder. I'll keep trying when I have time, but I've found that AVIDemux can do audio conversions as well.
    I know this is an old message thread about an old program so ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use it every week without issue but it is slow. It does take sometime for conversion
    Quote Quote